Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Clutch Assembly

Clutch, Transmission, Drive Chain, Sprockets
RCP_Espresso
honda305.com Member

Post by RCP_Espresso » Sun Mar 26, 2017 3:13 pm

jgger wrote:You didn't lose the ball at the end of the rod , did you? That would make it not disengage for sure.
could you elaborate on that?

I'm running into a similar issue and don't remember a ball on the end of the clutch lifter rod. I can't seem to find one in any of my parts diagrams either.

Edit:
googled it, pulled the right side cover off and had no bearing. whadya know.

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:01 pm

Ya may want to look a little further. ....................lm

quote="RCP_Espresso"]
jgger wrote:You didn't lose the ball at the end of the rod , did you? That would make it not disengage for sure.
could you elaborate on that?

I'm running into a similar issue and don't remember a ball on the end of the clutch lifter rod. I can't seem to find one in any of my parts diagrams either.

Edit:
googled it, pulled the right side cover off and had no bearing. whadya know.[/quote]

pemdoc65
honda305.com Member

Post by pemdoc65 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:06 am

The ball should be inside the clutch actuator that is in the right engine side cover, usually stuck in the grease. It fits against the flat end of the clutch push rod. If it is missing, or if someone has substituted a steering head ball bearing for it (which is too small), the clutch will not function correctly.

RCP_Espresso
honda305.com Member

Post by RCP_Espresso » Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:08 pm

I replaced the ball and I can now get the clutch to engage, but the lever is incredibly heavy and I feel like it's not completely engaging.

I'm inclined to next examine the clutch springs. I measured the ones that it had and they were 35.9mm

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home