Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Clutch adjustment

Clutch, Transmission, Drive Chain, Sprockets
Texas Biker
honda305.com Member

Clutch adjustment

Post by Texas Biker » Sat Nov 26, 2016 9:37 pm

Greetings from Houston! Just yesterday I bought a really clean, one owner 1966 black Dream 305 with only 6,400 miles. I have ridden the Dream several times since yesterday, but late this afternoon, I started the bike and when I pulled in the clutch to put it in first gear, the transmission jumped into first and the bike lunged and died even though I had the clutch pulled in all the way.

For you veterans out there, I know this is probably something really simple, but for a newly, can anyone help me navigate how to adjust the clutch so that it works as it should?

Thanks!

Billiam
honda305.com Member

Ditto.

Post by Billiam » Sun Nov 27, 2016 5:50 am

Greetings to you too TB from the UK. I'm hoping you get a good reply, as I'm sort of in the same boat. Hope it will answer my problem as well.
First run on mine last week. From cold, neutral selection from either first or second is sweet
but hot - no way. Only by getting hold of the gear lever itself will it budge. Feel it's something to do with the setting of the sleeve thing inside the cover.
I have a translation of the official works manual (it says). It tells you how steel is made but little else of much value. Talk about £40.00 down the drain as we say.

Nick
honda305.com Member

Post by Nick » Sun Nov 27, 2016 5:30 pm

Couple simple things:

Don't use automotive oil, use motorcycle 20/50 (auto oil can cause clutch slip/drag problems). If you don't know what kind of oil is in there, change it.

Check cable free play at lever: 1/8" or so. You may need to adjust screw-cam in right side cover. This can be done by simply loosening the 10mm locking bolt, backing off your cable adjustments, then turning the screw cam in until you feel it contact the clutch pushrod/ball bearing, then back it off slightly, and re-tighten the lock-bolt. Refer to manual if in doubt.

After adjusting screw-cam, re-adjust cable free play. Lube clutch cable with some sort of cable lube. Diesel #2 or heating oil will work in a pinch, but molybdenum base lubes are best. Bicycle shops have various cable lubes.
Also lube cable end where it sits in lever, and lube lever/mounting bolt (with grease).

Put transmission in neutral when waiting at stop lights, etc.
Do what you've always done and you'll get what you've always had.

Billiam
honda305.com Member

Post by Billiam » Mon Nov 28, 2016 7:06 am

Thank you Nick. Just what I was looking for re. the cover adjustment.
Oil, yes he had changed it, its nice and clean but what it is ? Modern car oils with their slippery additives and all that. Didn't notice any slip but it could have been just enough to get it hot and expand. So will be getting some straight oil.
"Sit in neutral". Never have, not since hearing a story as a lad about someone waiting to pull out at a T junction and the clutch cable/nipple failed.
Sods law it didn't stall and took off -- RIP.
Don't even sit in gear in the car.
Thanks again. Rob.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home