Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Clutch Disk Issue

Clutch, Transmission, Drive Chain, Sprockets
RichardWlkr
honda305.com Member

Clutch Disk Issue

Post by RichardWlkr » Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:44 pm

Hi all, I am brand new to this forum and antique Hondas. I bought a CA77-E from 1963 and it has been barn kept it's whole life. Unfortunately, the last person to own it did some real Mickey-Mouse fixes and basically stripped half the screws :(
I've never disassembled and rebuilt a motor in my life, but I just moved from NYC to California and have a big garage to fix things in so I'm so happy to have the time and space to give this breakdown a try. One thing I initially noticed was there is something messed up with the clutch plate slipping, if anyone has any help they might be able to lend me, here are some photos of what I mean.

https://imgur.com/a/eEJfx

Secondly, and I think, more importantly, is this piece I can't quite identify. The metal around it looks pretty gnarly and I can't quite figure out (even with Bill Silver's rebuild instructions) and I also can't figure out how it got gnarled in the first place. Here's some photos as well.

https://imgur.com/a/PKboc

Again, thank you all so much for any help you can lend.

Rw.

pemdoc65
honda305.com Member

Post by pemdoc65 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:01 pm

In the first set of images, it looks like the clutch is missing a plate between two of the friction discs. It looks like the clutch basket is rubbing on the inside of the left engine cover, as well.

The second item is the lock nut for the primary drive sprocket. The "gnarly" part is the locking tab washer that has a tab bent up to lock the nut in place. If you remove it, bend the tab back out flat and remove the nut. There is a tool to remove the nut, or you can spin it off with a well placed chisel. When you replace it, be sure to use a new locking tab washer.

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Re: Clutch Disk Issue

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:42 am

From what I can tell the clutch parts are not installed correctly and you have 5 currect plates and one OLD DESIGN. (get rid of it.
The nut is installed wrong side out.
Please cann after 5 your time as I have questions to ask when you are at the engine.
830-895-0654. ...................lm
RichardWlkr wrote:Hi all, I am brand new to this forum and antique Hondas. I bought a CA77-E from 1963 and it has been barn kept it's whole life. Unfortunately, the last person to own it did some real Mickey-Mouse fixes and basically stripped half the screws :(
I've never disassembled and rebuilt a motor in my life, but I just moved from NYC to California and have a big garage to fix things in so I'm so happy to have the time and space to give this breakdown a try. One thing I initially noticed was there is something messed up with the clutch plate slipping, if anyone has any help they might be able to lend me, here are some photos of what I mean.

https://imgur.com/a/eEJfx

Secondly, and I think, more importantly, is this piece I can't quite identify. The metal around it looks pretty gnarly and I can't quite figure out (even with Bill Silver's rebuild instructions) and I also can't figure out how it got gnarled in the first place. Here's some photos as well.

https://imgur.com/a/PKboc

Again, thank you all so much for any help you can lend.

Rw.

RichardWlkr
honda305.com Member

Post by RichardWlkr » Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:18 pm

I'll call in a few hours LoudMouse, thanks again.

I was also curious, should I be looking for an old design clutch with old discs, or a new design disk with modern plates, or something in between?

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:28 pm

Call now. ................lm
RichardWlkr wrote:I'll call in a few hours LoudMouse, thanks again.

I was also curious, should I be looking for an old design clutch with old discs, or a new design disk with modern plates, or something in between?

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home