Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Clutch stalls bike and cable comes loose at actuator CA77

Clutch, Transmission, Drive Chain, Sprockets
Hat's Dream
honda305.com Member

Clutch stalls bike and cable comes loose at actuator CA77

Post by Hat's Dream » Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:03 pm

I recently picked up a 63 CA77 from my younger brother who had inherited the bike a couple years ago. He said he was able to ride it shortly in a parking lot when he first got it after some tinkering. The tires were in such bad shape he parked it.The bike is in really good shape for the age. The bike has had only 1400 miles put on it since the summer of 1979 (as per service station sticker on windshield). It has 15,400 on it.The bike starts and runs great.
The issue I'm having is when I put it gear, it immediately stalls. I noticed that both clutch cable ends were adjusted all the way out when I got it which seemed strange. Not sure if my brother had done that or someone else while they were helping him to get it going. Upon closer inspection I found that the cable end had come loose from the actuator arm in the right side cover. I tore the cover off, replaced the cable end into the arm and made sure the ball bearing was in the actuator (as read in other posts). I then adjusted the clutch. Again I tried shifting and again it stalled and the cable came loose again from the arm. I'm guessing the plates are froze together. But why would the cable come loose as well? Cable stretched from being screwed all the way out? From what I've read through searching this forum was to be sure it had the correct oil in it. I have not done that yet but will soon. While searching this forum I found a test to see if the plates are stuck but nothing pertaining to the cable coming loose.Thanks in advance for any advice.

barnbiketom
honda305.com Member

Post by barnbiketom » Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:44 am

Not sure why the cable comes loose, maybe the lever is splayed apart?? When bikes sit, the clutch plates sometimes stick. It happens. You can tear it all apart and free them up, but On bikes I get with froze together clutch plates, I simply get it running in neutral, push off with my feet and Snick it into first, then second gear.
After riding around with the clutch pulled in and goosing the throttle a little, I have NEVER had one not brake loose. I've owned probly 200 bikes, and have done this countless times with success and no adverse effects.
I like stock...
A few modern mods...
But worst of all are those gawl dang PODS

Hat's Dream
honda305.com Member

Post by Hat's Dream » Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:56 pm

Thanks barnbiketom. I'll take another look at the cable end and where it attaches. Once I get it all back together I'll try your method and keep you posted. Once again...Thanks,

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home