Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Sticky Shifter

Clutch, Transmission, Drive Chain, Sprockets
border0_3
honda305.com Member

Post by border0_3 » Wed May 03, 2017 10:49 pm

Duplicated message - sorry.
Last edited by border0_3 on Wed May 03, 2017 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

border0_3
honda305.com Member

Post by border0_3 » Wed May 03, 2017 10:50 pm

Didn't the CAs have early and late shift shafts (different lengths) and matching engine side covers. Maybe a short shaft cover was being fitted to a long shaft shifter?
We had a similar issue but with a CA short shaft shifter finding its way into a CB engine and causing some heavy thinking before we solved it.

Seadog
honda305.com Member

Post by Seadog » Thu May 04, 2017 7:30 am

Thank you, Border0_3. That's a very good thought and an excellent observation. After looking at the parts list, I see you're right about 2 shift spindles for the CA. I really wish that was my problem because it would be an easy fix, but, I'm not altogether sure that it is. The early spindle was used up to engine serial #110151, which was in 1962. My engine is from 1964 (103372), so I should be using the later spindle with either my early or late cover. However, looking at the parts list for covers, the switch to a later style cover was made at engine #104274. I would have thought the switch would have been made at the same time a the spindle switch. Having said all that, is it possible that have the earliest spindle, which I am assuming is longer? I have no way of knowing without seeing and measuring both. 1964 seems to be a transitional year; I find both older and newer parts on it, as if Honda was using up old stock.

Right now, it seems that my realistic choices are:

1. Strip out the clutch to see if there's something wrong with the installation that is causing the fit problem;
2. Live with the old side cover and use Hondabond or double up on the gaskets to stop the weeping, which is, coincidentally, in the area of the shift spindle; or,
3. Try another shift spindle - could mine be bent? Could a previous owner have swapped out the shift spindle and replaced it with an older and, I am assuming, longer spindle? Dunno. I'll speak with LM later and discuss it.

Many thanks, Border0_3.

Edited to add: By the way, I just found that the Superhawk uses the same spindle as the later Dreams. Could the problem you described have been that the CA shifter that you found in the CB was too long instead of too short?
border0_3 wrote:Didn't the CAs have early and late shift shafts (different lengths) and matching engine side covers. Maybe a short shaft cover was being fitted to a long shaft shifter?
We had a similar issue but with a CA short shaft shifter finding its way into a CB engine and causing some heavy thinking before we solved it.
Last edited by Seadog on Thu May 04, 2017 7:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Thu May 04, 2017 7:38 am

Call B4 9:00A. ........................lm
Seadog wrote:Thank you, Border0_3. That's a very good thought and an excellent observation. After looking at the parts list, I see you're right about 2 shift spindles for the CA. I really wish that was my problem because it would be an easy fix, but, I'm not altogether sure that it is. The early spindle was used up to engine serial #110151, which was in 1962. My engine is from 1964 (103372), so I should be using the later spindle with either my early or late cover. However, looking at the parts list for covers, the switch to a later style cover was made at engine #104274. I would have thought the switch would have been made at the same time a the spindle switch. Having said all that, is it possible that have the earliest spindle, which I am assuming is longer? I have no way of knowing without seeing and measuring both. 1964 seems to be a transitional year; I find both older and newer parts on it, as if Honda was using up old stock.

Right now, it seems that my realistic choices are:

1. Strip out the clutch to see if there's something wrong with the installation that is causing the fit problem;
2. Live with the old side cover and use Hondabond or double up on the gaskets to stop the weeping, which is, coincidentally, in the area of the shift spindle; or,
3. Try another shift spindle - could mine be bent? Could a previous owner have swapped out the shift spindle and replaced it with an older and, I am assuming, longer spindle? Dunno. I'll speak with LM later and discuss it.

Many thanks, Border0_3.
border0_3 wrote:Didn't the CAs have early and late shift shafts (different lengths) and matching engine side covers. Maybe a short shaft cover was being fitted to a long shaft shifter?

Seadog
honda305.com Member

Post by Seadog » Thu May 04, 2017 7:43 am

Will do.
LOUD MOUSE wrote:Call B4 9:00A. ........................lm

Seadog
honda305.com Member

Post by Seadog » Tue May 09, 2017 12:46 pm

I'm happy to report that LM helped to resolve this problem. It appears that the shift spindle was bent. More in my restoration thread.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home