Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Sticky Shifter

Clutch, Transmission, Drive Chain, Sprockets
LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Tue May 02, 2017 6:07 pm

Actually take a look at all the parts associated with the shift drum moving and locating.
They can be seen with the clutch installed. ...............lm

ote="Seadog"]LM, would you prefer that I remove the clutch so that we can review the gear shift arm, drum end, etc.?
LOUD MOUSE wrote:Tomorrow is OK.
It may help. .................lm
[/quote]

Seadog
honda305.com Member

Post by Seadog » Tue May 02, 2017 6:13 pm

Good, we'll talk more tomorrow. Thanks.
LOUD MOUSE wrote:Actually take a look at all the parts associated with the shift drum moving and locating.

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Tue May 02, 2017 6:15 pm

You bet. .................lm

Seadog wrote:Good, we'll talk more tomorrow. Thanks.
LOUD MOUSE wrote:Actually take a look at all the parts associated with the shift drum moving and locating.

Seadog
honda305.com Member

Post by Seadog » Wed May 03, 2017 11:19 am

A big thank you to LM for resolving the sticky shifter mystery. The shift shaft seal simply needed to be driven deeper into the cover. After I put everything back together, I can finally take her out for a test ride tomorrow (if it isn't raining) and see if she shifts correctly. Fingers crossed, please.

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Wed May 03, 2017 11:29 am

Some problems have simple solutions once YOU FIND THEM. .................lm
Seadog wrote:A big thank you to LM for resolving the sticky shifter mystery. The shift shaft seal simply needed to be driven deeper into the cover. After I put everything back together, I can finally take her out for a test ride tomorrow (if it isn't raining) and see if she shifts correctly. Fingers crossed, please.

Seadog
honda305.com Member

Post by Seadog » Wed May 03, 2017 5:51 pm

Well, back to square one, LM. I finished cleaning up the cover and case this afternoon, put the cover back on and tightened all of the case screws. I then put the shift pedal back on the spindle to make sure it was free. Nope. I used a socket to drive the seal back in a bit. Nope. I removed the spindle seal altogether. No joy. I then loosened the case screws on either side of the spindle and that freed it up. I removed the cover and replaced it with my old cover (with a new seal), tightened up all the case screws, installed the shift pedal and it works perfectly.

I've looked carefully at the inside of the trouble cover at the spot that the shift spindle passes through. Pictures below. The flanged/stepped portion of the spindle is jamming the case. See the shiny area where it has been dragging.

I guess I could relieve that area or just go with my old cover, but I just wonder why that's happening. I just don't see how I could have installed the spindle incorrectly so as to make it stick out further than normal.

I think that tomorrow I might remove the cover, take out the clutch and see if I've installed something wrong. I just can't imagine what.
Attachments
Case2.JPG
Case2.JPG (264.7 KiB) Viewed 1728 times
Case1.JPG
Case1.JPG (287.35 KiB) Viewed 1727 times

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Wed May 03, 2017 6:05 pm

Call again. ...............lm

Seadog wrote:Well, back to square one, LM. I finished cleaning up the cover and case this afternoon, put the cover back on and tightened all of the case screws. I then put the shift pedal back on the spindle to make sure it was free. Nope. I used a socket to drive the seal back in a bit. Nope. I removed the spindle seal altogether. No joy. I then loosened the case screws on either side of the spindle and that freed it up. I removed the cover and replaced it with my old cover (with a new seal), tightened up all the case screws, installed the shift pedal and it works perfectly.

I've looked carefully at the inside of the trouble cover at the spot that the shift spindle passes through. Pictures below. The flanged/stepped portion of the spindle is jamming the case. See the shiny area where it has been dragging.

I guess I could relieve that area or just go with my old cover, but I just wonder why that's happening. I just don't see how I could have installed the spindle incorrectly so as to make it stick out further than normal.

I think that tomorrow I might remove the cover, take out the clutch and see if I've installed something wrong. I just can't imagine what.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home