Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Clutch rattle?

Clutch, Transmission, Drive Chain, Sprockets
redblk63
honda305.com Member

Clutch rattle?

Post by redblk63 » Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:39 pm

Thought I'd try here as well as in the engine section.

The last ride my 1963 CB77 developed a kind of hoarse rattle at about 4000 RPM and above. It sounded like something from the left sidecover.

The primary chain was loose, as usual, but the tensioner could make it tight, and it has not rubbed on the sidecover.

Nothing wrong with the centrifugal oil filter either.

The shifter mechanism looked OK.

The clutch basket has some, maybe 0.040 inches, of axial play. That is, when I grasped it I could pull in in and out a bit while the driven plates stayed stationary. Is this normal?

If not, it could be the source of the rattle.

Thanks for opinions,
Larry

redblk63
honda305.com Member

Post by redblk63 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:22 pm

OK, I took a better look. see IMG_2501.

I reversed the circlip holding the clutch onto the transmission mainshaft, in case it was "dished" causing axial play. There was still some play.

I also adjusted the cam chain tensioner.

The rattle is now diminished, but I believe it may have to do with tightening the clamps holding my muffler to the header pipe.

Oh well, I needed an oil change. The filter was spotless after 1000 miles, by the way. I never seem to see the vast accumulation of muck that others report, perhaps I slip the clutch less? More likely, my clutch disks are so old there they shed less material.

Important Side Cover Note: See IMG_2503, the locating pin on the oil filter tube must be pointed up, or it does not fit the corresponding groove in the side cover and bad things will happen when you tighten the sidecover screws.
Attachments
Two of many chains in a CB77 engine.
Two of many chains in a CB77 engine.
IMG_2501.jpg (204.31 KiB) Viewed 1464 times
Note locating pin must be vertical to install the sidecover
Note locating pin must be vertical to install the sidecover
IMG_2503.jpg (143.69 KiB) Viewed 1464 times
On the road
On the road
IMG_9683.jpg (313.42 KiB) Viewed 1464 times

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home