Admirers

Starter clutch

Clutch, Transmission, Drive Chain, Sprockets
GregMcN
honda305.com Member

Starter clutch

Post by GregMcN » Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:08 pm

Hi

Working on sorting out the starter clutch on CB77. The manual mentions a special silicone grease for the rollers, does anyone have any details?

I assume the springs go in first then cap then roller? The 'caps' on mine had no ends on them and were difficult to extract but have been able to get new ones.

I also had to drill out 2 of the screws attaching the clutch to the rotor as one was broken and another snapped when being removed. I was pretty pleased drilling them out successfully until I realised all the swarf is now stuck to the rotor!

Greg

GregMcN
honda305.com Member

Post by GregMcN » Sat Sep 02, 2017 3:13 pm

Nobody had commented on the type of silicone grease to use (as recommended by Honda) but searching the forum I found that someone had tried silicone grease could not get the starter clutch to work so had removed and replaced with a little oil which worked fine?

Is this still the thinking , just oil the pins/ rollers lightly?
I did wonder why a silicone grease would ever be specified over a petroleum grease for this duty?

Greg

e3steve
h305 Moderator

Post by e3steve » Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:31 pm

I seem to recall that Ed -- LOUD MOUSE -- advocates a completely dry assembly, whereas Bill (Silver) recommends a smear of silicone grease. Let's wait and see what the consesus is.

Silicone grease won't melt away, whereas petroleum grease will.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home