Admirers

CL77 Gear Shifting Pattern

Clutch, Transmission, Drive Chain, Sprockets
Mrburnn
honda305.com Member

CL77 Gear Shifting Pattern

Post by Mrburnn » Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:41 pm

Good evening,
I am a new forum member and have a question about the gear shifting pattern for the 1967 CL77 I am restoring. Is it possible that the shift pattern is all the way down for neutral and four up for gears 1-4? If not, what might be causing the transmission to be in neutral and not 1st gear when the shifter is all the way down? Thanks for your time!

rustywrench
honda305.com Member

shifting

Post by rustywrench » Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:14 pm

The shift pattern is the standard 1down and 3up. it is possible that 1st is not engaging giving you the impression that neutral is there. I'm assuming you are dry shifting looking for first. Try rotating the final drive while looking for first gear. Hope this is a help and welcome aboard. Rusty

Mrburnn
honda305.com Member

Shift Shaft Positioning

Post by Mrburnn » Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:11 pm

Thanks Rusty! I am having difficulty getting the shift forks to slide even when I rotate the input shaft. And neutral is still where 1st is supposed to be. Is it possible to install the shift drum and/or forks incorrectly? Seems like they can only mount one way. Should I be able to rotate the shift shaft with pliers to shift through the gears when the engine is not running (because I can't)?

I tried to attach a picture of the shaft with the forks mounted but I keep getting an error message. Is there a secret to attaching pictures to my posts?

Any help would be much appreciated. I really do not want to seal-up the case and have the transmission not work properly!!

Thanks,
Joe M.

rustywrench
honda305.com Member

Post by rustywrench » Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:12 pm

It has been quite a while since I had one of those things apart but if memory serves, 1st gear engages on the output shaft. You could use a plier to rotate the shaft but at the risk of damage.
Just slide the shift lever on and use that. Try to find a pic on the forum and compare what you have with what the pic shows. I posted some a while back re: xing gears that should be pretty clear. Rusty
PS pics used to be simple to ad as an attachment but I see they now recommend we open a photo account and move pics to that then move them to your post. Seems to be a royal PITA. But then that's just my opinion. Keep at it, We'll figger it out sooner or later. Rusty

http://www.honda305.com/forums/transmis ... light=xing
this should help

Mrburnn
honda305.com Member

Shift Drum

Post by Mrburnn » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:23 pm

Thanks for the pictures Rusty. My transmission does look like the one in your pictures. I figured out how to attach pictures (the file size was too large last time). I have attached a picture of my shift drum & forks and the shift drum stopper. The position of the shift drum stopper should be 1st but is actually neutral. Still trying to determine if I have installed something incorrectly or if the transmission is just "sloppy" because the engine is not running.

Thanks again for your time and comments.

JoeM
Attachments
Shift Drum & Forks
Shift Drum & Forks
IMG_0935.JPG (85.69 KiB) Viewed 2417 times
Shift Drum Stopper
Shift Drum Stopper
IMG_0934.JPG (109.26 KiB) Viewed 2427 times

Hoosier Tom
honda305.com Member

Post by Hoosier Tom » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:10 pm

It looks like your shift drum retainer bracket is installed on the wrong side of the drum. It needs to be installed above the drum, not below it. It will not operate correctly if not oriented properly.

HT

Mrburnn
honda305.com Member

Post by Mrburnn » Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:18 am

Nice catch, yes I did have the retainer installed upside down. Unfortunately I still cannot operate through the gears, even using the shifter arm. I'll keep working on it, must be something simple I am overlooking. Thanks for taking the time to reply!

JoeM

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home