Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Honda 305 really hard to select gear after rebuild

Clutch, Transmission, Drive Chain, Sprockets
Nick simmons
honda305.com Member

Honda 305 really hard to select gear after rebuild

Post by Nick simmons » Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:37 am

Hi, I am looking for some help, I have completely rebuilt my cb77 engine, but it’s really hard to get into gear? To get it into gear I have to be really hard on the gear lever & almost ram it hard, please help what have I done wrong?? Thanks

G-Man
honda305.com Member

Re: Honda 305 really hard to select gear after rebuild

Post by G-Man » Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:55 am

Nick

Welcome!

It is considered polite to introduce yourself to the forum so that we know a little about you, your skill level, and where you are from.

Also, a little background of what you actually did during the rebuild would be helpful. Otherwise it's all guesswork..... :-) More background means better answers.

Did you remove the shift drum during your rebuild?

If so is the drum retaining plate assembled the right way up?
(part 9 on this image) https://images.cmsnl.com/img/partslists ... 7_b5b4.gif

Did you operate the transmission as you were building the engine to see that it was all working freely?

Are you trying to select the gears with the engine running or engine stopped?

G

Nick simmons wrote:Hi, I am looking for some help, I have completely rebuilt my cb77 engine, but it’s really hard to get into gear? To get it into gear I have to be really hard on the gear lever & almost ram it hard, please help what have I done wrong?? Thanks
'60 C77 '60 C72 '62 C72 Dream '63 CL72
'61 CB72 '64 CB77 '65 CB160
'66 Matchless 350 '67 CL77
'67 S90 '77 CB400F

Nick simmons
honda305.com Member

Post by Nick simmons » Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:23 am

Hello G man.
Ok sorry about not giving more information. I was a professional speedway rider for 15 year & I have been brought up around motorcycles all of my life & was stripping & rebuilding engines from a very young age. I really got into the classic bikes about 8 years after deciding to restore a yds7 which my dad had when he was 17 & his best friend Nicholas also had one but was unfortunately killed on when he was 18 who I am named after. I am the owner of Summerbud limited who import & sell classic bikes from America!
So regarding the rebuild of the cb77 I have built many engines but this is the first 305!
The engine was stripped completely. I removed everything from cases, shift drum, selector forks. I checked the movement of the drum & checked it selecting & all seemed good. I have been checking the gear selecting with the engine not running but turning the rear wheel. I have a feeling that I have done something silly. If I had put the drum retaining plate in the wrong place would that cause it to go right? I will check when I get to work in a hour, I hope it’s something as easy as that!! Many thanks Nick

G-Man
honda305.com Member

Post by G-Man » Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:19 am

Hi Nick

Thanks for the info! I was just listening to a program on the radio about speedway this morning. I managed to get to Long Eaton before they shut it down.

I keep an eye on your bikes for sale on eBay. Nice selection.

If you put that little horseshoe retaining plate in upside-down the selector detent roller will snag on it and make the changes difficult. I think it gets trapped between the shifter arm and the end of the drum. Unfortunately it's a full strip down to put it in the right way. Ask me how I know..... :-(

G
Nick simmons wrote:Hello G man.
Ok sorry about not giving more information. I was a professional speedway rider for 15 year & I have been brought up around motorcycles all of my life & was stripping & rebuilding engines from a very young age. I really got into the classic bikes about 8 years after deciding to restore a yds7 which my dad had when he was 17 & his best friend Nicholas also had one but was unfortunately killed on when he was 18 who I am named after. I am the owner of Summerbud limited who import & sell classic bikes from America!
So regarding the rebuild of the cb77 I have built many engines but this is the first 305!
The engine was stripped completely. I removed everything from cases, shift drum, selector forks. I checked the movement of the drum & checked it selecting & all seemed good. I have been checking the gear selecting with the engine not running but turning the rear wheel. I have a feeling that I have done something silly. If I had put the drum retaining plate in the wrong place would that cause it to go right? I will check when I get to work in a hour, I hope it’s something as easy as that!! Many thanks Nick
'67 S90 '77 CB400F

Nick simmons
honda305.com Member

Post by Nick simmons » Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:21 pm

Hello G. I rode for long Eaton for a short while before they closed when I was first started in 1997. I have found the problem with the gearbox, I stripped the engine this morning & one of the gears was tight on the shaft, don’t ask me why as I could not see why but it kept going tight hence why it was taking so much effort to get it into gear. Luckily I have a lot of these old Honda’s about at the moment so had one to replace it with, rebuilt it all back up & even got it running briefly before I came home tonight. Thank you for your help & if you see anything you fancy give me a call. Thanks nick

G-Man
honda305.com Member

Post by G-Man » Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:47 pm

Nick

Really glad to hear that you got it fixed quickly. Always nice to hear from people who got a problem fixed and how they did it.

G
Nick simmons wrote:Hello G. I rode for long Eaton for a short while before they closed when I was first started in 1997. I have found the problem with the gearbox, I stripped the engine this morning & one of the gears was tight on the shaft, don’t ask me why as I could not see why but it kept going tight hence why it was taking so much effort to get it into gear. Luckily I have a lot of these old Honda’s about at the moment so had one to replace it with, rebuilt it all back up & even got it running briefly before I came home tonight. Thank you for your help & if you see anything you fancy give me a call. Thanks nick
'67 S90 '77 CB400F

malcolmgb
honda305.com Member

Post by malcolmgb » Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:45 pm

Nick perhaps also put your location in your profile, it shows up in your posts then and can help you get in contact with people who maybe live nearby. Sounds like you are almost local.
1977 CB400F
1973 CL175
1976 XL175 - Sold
1964 CL72
1966 CA78

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home