Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

2 Questions - Clutch and Weird Hole

Clutch, Transmission, Drive Chain, Sprockets
CB799
honda305.com Member

2 Questions - Clutch and Weird Hole

Post by CB799 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:13 am

Hey everyone, after hours of reading I finally got brave enough to attempt to fix my clutch issues.

Background:
1965 CL72 with a 305 in it. Bought it from a guy who said it ran great, but the clutch cable just broke. Replaced the cable and it ran pretty decent. It would creep some when you would pull the clutch handle and have it in gear. Now the when I pull the clutch handle and drop it into gear it will immediately take off, or in my case stall since I know this is going to happen.

1st question:
The clutch plates were stuck a bit but not bad, and don't look all that bad. I think I am missing a circlip somewhere. I don't understand how pushing the rod from the right side will cause the plates to separate.
When I remove the 4 bolts and springs on the clutch basket, the friction plates will slide out. Is there something that is supposed to hold them together? I found this pic from an ebay auction. Can someone please explain the function of the circlip?

2nd question:
What they heck is this?

Thanks for your help!
CB

modelman
honda305.com Member

Post by modelman » Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:46 pm

That 'hole' looks like the main bearing retaining pin has burst through the casing, this will happen
if the locating pin hole in the bearing 'missed' the pin in the case, so when the cases were
bolted up, the bearing outer-race pushed it through, then the perpetrator filled the hole!!
Trouble is, now the bearing can possible spin in the cases.
GSX1400 Red/silver
GSX1400 Blue
GS1000G
Brockhouse Corgi
CB77
CA77
T140
BSA 250

I DO have to grow old, I DO NOT have to grow up.

CB799
honda305.com Member

Post by CB799 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:54 pm

Thanks for the reply, anything I can do about it?

Any symptoms of failure to look out for?

modelman
honda305.com Member

Post by modelman » Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:07 pm

Is the pin not there??

If its gone, I would get a length of wire & measure the edge of the bearing to the top of the hole,
then put the wire down the hole, if the measurement is longer, then the hole in the bearing is
somewhere in line, if the same the the bearing was installed wrong or it has already spun.

If the holes do align or somewhere near, then a short length of steel rod of a suitable size &
length can be pushed in & epoxied in place, & you were lucky!!

If not, then you may be on borrowed time & the only fix is a major tear-down & splitting the cases.
Having said all that, there is a possibility that its nice & secure & will stay that way..
GSX1400 Red/silver
GSX1400 Blue
GS1000G
Brockhouse Corgi
CB77
CA77
T140
BSA 250

I DO have to grow old, I DO NOT have to grow up.

CB799
honda305.com Member

Post by CB799 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:14 pm

Thanks! I will be hoping for the epoxy fix to do the trick! Will report back with the results.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home