Admirers

Kickstarter Engaging when starter button pressed

Clutch, Transmission, Drive Chain, Sprockets
bodie1204
honda305.com Member

Kickstarter Engaging when starter button pressed

Post by bodie1204 » Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:47 am

Hey Guys,

First of all let me say I am learning as I go here so any knowledge and patience is greatly appreciated. A little back story, a few years ago I bought a 1965 CA77 that was pretty rough, but it came along with a rebuilt engine. The last couple weeks I have put the engine in the bike and last night after getting home late from work wired her up.

Here is the problem I am having: When I engage the starter button it turns the engine over as you would expect but now I am seeing that it is also engaging the kickstart pedal. Anybody have any idea what is happening here. I was hoping not to have to get in the case if possible but it sounds like its grinding so I am sure I will. I also noticed that the kickstart pedal doesn't have any return, so I am hoping that this is just possibly a spring issue?

Link to video here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/79457819@ ... ed-public/

DJM
honda305.com Member

Kickstart problems.

Post by DJM » Fri Sep 07, 2018 3:04 pm

You really need to fix the return spring issue before you can diagnose any further problems.
If the kickstart moves this CAN be a sign of serious issues on the kickstart shaft / gearbox countershaft (one and the same thing) but the K/S shaft is held stationary by the return spring which is missing on your bike.

Fix this first and hopefully your other problem will disappear.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home