Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Clutch does not fully disengage when lever is pulled

Clutch, Transmission, Drive Chain, Sprockets
FreeRadical
honda305.com Member

Clutch does not fully disengage when lever is pulled

Post by FreeRadical » Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:54 am

I am rebuilding my CL77 and have gotten to the point of adding the oil to the crankcase; however, I've noticed when I shift the bike into first and pull the clutch it is very difficult to roll around the garage. The clutch basket will finally loosen up and rotate after a couple of compression strokes, but it's got a lot of frictional resistance. No oil has been added to the bike and I have the left engine cover off the bike and can see the clutch plates releasing when I pull the lever.

I've done all the usual things. Clutch plates have been cleaned and oiled, big adjuster screw has been done, ball bearing is in the right place, yadda...yadda...yadda. Still can't get the thing to free up enough to roll it around easily.

Appreciate any other ideas you guys and gals may have.

Thanks!

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Re: Clutch does not fully disengage when lever is pulled

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:14 am

I think you should install the clutch cover and any other part to be sure oil won't come out then add the oil.
Start the engine and pull in the clutch lever to allow oil to be pumped into it.
Then you may want to readjust the clutch. ...............lm
FreeRadical wrote:I am rebuilding my CL77 and have gotten to the point of adding the oil to the crankcase; however, I've noticed when I shift the bike into first and pull the clutch it is very difficult to roll around the garage. The clutch basket will finally loosen up and rotate after a couple of compression strokes, but it's got a lot of frictional resistance. No oil has been added to the bike and I have the left engine cover off the bike and can see the clutch plates releasing when I pull the lever.

I've done all the usual things. Clutch plates have been cleaned and oiled, big adjuster screw has been done, ball bearing is in the right place, yadda...yadda...yadda. Still can't get the thing to free up enough to roll it around easily.

Appreciate any other ideas you guys and gals may have.

Thanks!

FreeRadical
honda305.com Member

Post by FreeRadical » Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:37 am

OK, thanks LM. I'll give that a try and report back.

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:46 am

It should help as at this time the disc will be rather dry. .................lm
FreeRadical wrote:OK, thanks LM. I'll give that a try and report back.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home