Admirers

66 CA77 Kick start seems to slip.

Clutch, Transmission, Drive Chain, Sprockets
LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Re: Kickstart / clutch slippage

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Fri Nov 23, 2018 12:13 pm

Have you checked the adjustment?
How much does the lever open at the "V" when you feel the pressure of the clutch?. .....................lm

Aussieken272 wrote:
G-Man wrote:If it is intermittent then it may be the pawl inside the kickstart ratchet.

Can you hear anything when it slips?

Any solvent would do on the clutch plates. I usually put them in an ultrasonic bath which reall pulls the crud out of them.

G
Well i got her registered on club plates and will try her tomorrow. the slipping as you force down on kick starter reveals no feed back indicating a pawl slipping. no noise. it feels to me as if the clutch is slipping. Maybe i had my lever in at the time? But all bikes ive ever experienced dont have a difference on kicking with clutch either in or out. Indicating to me there is no transmission of effort through the plates. My 28 harley however does need the clutch engaged as the kick start is direct to gearbox. Some one did say above that its common that the effort goes through the clutch. but in this bike and not looking at diagrams, i feel the effort does transmit through the clutch. in which case i need to be careful not allow much slippage in trying to get it going tomorrow and last resort is pull it apart and clean. thank you for your help gentleman.

e3steve
h305 Moderator

Post by e3steve » Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:22 am

And to add to my friends’ comments: had the bike been stood for a long time (years)? If so, then the clutch would’ve been only partially immersed in the oil, so the segments that were not immersed would’ve dried out a fair bit, making the friction plates’ material react against the steel plates differently from those of the segments that were immersed. That might explain the erratic slippage behaviour.

Just a thought...

Aussieken272
honda305.com Member

fixed and generally running great.

Post by Aussieken272 » Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:24 am

e3steve wrote:And to add to my friends’ comments: had the bike been stood for a long time (years)? If so, then the clutch would’ve been only partially immersed in the oil, so the segments that were not immersed would’ve dried out a fair bit, making the friction plates’ material react against the steel plates differently from those of the segments that were immersed. That might explain the erratic slippage behaviour.

Just a thought...
thank you all for comments and ideas and Im so sorry for not getting back. Took me awhile to find the response email too apart from forgetting to respond.

thats a thought on the oil half submerging also. I really dont know the history of its last start but it should have been recent. I dont feel it would have rust inside as its been stored well. This bike is 10,000 miles and nothing restored and looking great. It rides real well and sounds nice. Its issue is that the coasting light throttle, it seems to run rough. I have held back from cleaning carbs and just putting new fuel through it and its coming on well, albeit not running perfect at low coasting speed.

the issue was that the clutch is driven via the kick starter and the hand level adjustment had no adjustment available and so i went to the engine case adjustment and made it good and gave some adjustment to the lever as it should have had. Clutch worked perfect and maybe i loosened it on the kicks i was doing. starter button works but i prefer to kick it and not wear the old starter out. It starts 100% first kick every time with no choke.

Oil is clean. But i feel there is a screen that needs removing and ask is this come with caution? gaskets? Just preparing for oil change i guess.

We were given a new outer cable for the speedo and noted the old one was qickly failing and speedo was slipping. new outer one fitted and my helper did something? but it now works. However it sits on 20 mph at rest and seems to be equal to KM's at say 50 MPH. So i feel there maybe some adjustment to reset needle position? Odometer works.

One other surprising issue given the museum i bought it from, was the dirty fuel bowl. No fuel would get to the carby. So cleaned it up and note a flat type washer but with 3 fins outwards. then there is 3 or so rubber short tubes located in the fuelcock. When tightening, this makes the fuel tap very tight and in danger of breaking, so i leave it on reserve presently. Should these rubbers come out? Or how can i make fuel tap more easier to move?

Speed. it runs nice in top gear from 50 kmh or less right though to 80 kmh or 48 MPH. Sure it may sit on 60 mph or 100 KMH but Im there for the ride and not the destination. But pushing it harder, it runs out of fuel requiring clutch engaged and by the time i get down to 15 mph then fuel catches up. So something is not right possibly in my fuel tap.

in summary, i couldnt be more happier and now understand why they were a dream back then. the comments of poor handling etc that have been fed to me locally are all out the window as this bike impresses well in handling and power for what could be expected. Brakes are as you would expect for the day and same as the 1970's were also.

thanks for any tips.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home