Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

CB 77 SUPER HAWK SHIFT SHAFT AND CLUTCH QUESTIONS

Clutch, Transmission, Drive Chain, Sprockets
joep
honda305.com Member

Post by joep » Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:03 pm

Just pulling apart my newest 64 ' CB77 project , clutch plates were stuck together and they appear to be early Barnett types. The base plate at the bottom of the center clutch hub has " Huntington Park " and " BTE " cast into the plate or spacer as the clutch has only 5 friction plates and 4 steel with the thick spacer at the bottom of the stack . A couple questions I have is if this is an older Barnett clutch spacer is it compatible with their newer plates ? Second question is that I noticed that the shift spindle shaft has a 14mm ID x 1mm thick thrust washer on the shift spindle shaft between the clutch cover and the shaft , I did not see that washer on the parts schematic , does that washer belong there as there is no end play on the shift spindle when the washer is installed .
Thanks in Advance !

DJM
honda305.com Member

Thrust washer.

Post by DJM » Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:38 pm

You're correct that the thrust washer does not belong there probably put in by a previous owner to reduce what he thought was 'excessive' end float

If you have 'NO' end float on the shaft with the washer fitted then you should only have around 1mm end float if you take the washer out.

This small amount of play is 'normal' and shouldn't cause any problems at all.

joep
honda305.com Member

Post by joep » Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:27 am

Thanks for the info , I think the shift shaft was hanging up because of the 14mm washer on the shift shaft , there was no end play at all with it installed , after doing some researching it appears they may have taken suspect 14mm washer from the primary chain tensioner arm spring seat ( perhaps a left over part after they were going back together) , the parts schematic shows a 14mm washer on the top of the spring under the tensioner arm , and guess what was missing above the spring , the suspect 14 mm washer , go figure ?

DJM
honda305.com Member

Shift shaft.

Post by DJM » Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:28 am

I did wonder about that, there is also a washer around the same size which fits on the oil filter spindle, same size but a different pat number. I assume that the metallurgy is different as the one on the oil filter shaft is a definite 'thrust washer' between a rotating and a stationary component parts so needs to be harder.

Glad you've fixed your stiff gearchange so easily!

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home