Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

CA77 & CL77 KIckstart Knuckle repair

Clutch, Transmission, Drive Chain, Sprockets
LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Sun Apr 21, 2019 10:08 am

The lever in pic 1 is wrong.
It will allow the KS shaft to hit the bolt.
This will ruin one or both of the parts.
The lever in pic 2 is correct as it will go to straight down and not hit the bolt. ......................lm

danielzink wrote:
LOUD MOUSE wrote:On the clutch side of the case is a Large Black bolt. "BOLT, KICK STARTER STOPPER"
At the Pawl End of the Kick Shaft is where the Bolt will Stop the Shaft if the Kick Lever isn't installed properly.
With the CB72/77 being Forward Kick you Must time the gears properly and the Shaft End will not hit the Bolt.
For the C/CA72/77 and CL72/77 the Kick lever MUST be at 11:00 angle and it will Arc to Straight Down and hit the Foot peg to Stop.
There are those who thinking they will get MORE SWING of the lever by placing the Lever at
1:00 or 2:00 will in fact Make the Shaft Hit the Bolt and Crack the Kick Starter Joint or worst yet Break the Splines off the Shaft.
Imagine the POWER you are applying to those parts if you stop the shaft before you are at the bottom of the arc. ........................lm

the-chauffeur wrote:Just saw this. Nicely done . . . and thanks for the tip-off.

Quick question(s) - is there anything preventative that can be done to the knuckles to stop them from cracking, or is it something you just sorta pray doesn't happen? I've had a look at one of mine and it's fine; I'll need to pull the other one apart to check that later. And when do you tend to notice the cracks appear - is it something you find when you start rebuilds or d'you inspect for this sort of thing regularly?

I'm having to repair one or two of the results of some of the other interesting design choices Honda worked through with the 250/305's in the '60's. The rear brake switch mount on the CL77 is a particular favourite . . .

Cheers

Just to be clear Ed...

After looking at countless pictures of Dreams online..

With regards to the pictures below.

Please comment:

Thanks, Dan

danielzink
honda305.com Member

Post by danielzink » Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:26 am

LOUD MOUSE wrote:The lever in pic 1 is wrong.
The lever in pic 2 is correct as it will go to straight down and not hit the bolt. ......................lm

danielzink wrote:
LOUD MOUSE wrote:On the clutch side of the case is a Large Black bolt. "BOLT, KICK STARTER STOPPER"
At the Pawl End of the Kick Shaft is where the Bolt will Stop the Shaft if the Kick Lever isn't installed properly.
With the CB72/77 being Forward Kick you Must time the gears properly and the Shaft End will not hit the Bolt.
For the C/CA72/77 and CL72/77 the Kick lever MUST be at 11:00 angle and it will Arc to Straight Down and hit the Foot peg to Stop.
There are those who thinking they will get MORE SWING of the lever by placing the Lever at
1:00 or 2:00 will in fact Make the Shaft Hit the Bolt and Crack the Kick Starter Joint or worst yet Break the Splines off the Shaft.
Imagine the POWER you are applying to those parts if you stop the shaft before you are at the bottom of the arc. ........................lm

the-chauffeur wrote:Just saw this. Nicely done . . . and thanks for the tip-off.

Quick question(s) - is there anything preventative that can be done to the knuckles to stop them from cracking, or is it something you just sorta pray doesn't happen? I've had a look at one of mine and it's fine; I'll need to pull the other one apart to check that later. And when do you tend to notice the cracks appear - is it something you find when you start rebuilds or d'you inspect for this sort of thing regularly?

I'm having to repair one or two of the results of some of the other interesting design choices Honda worked through with the 250/305's in the '60's. The rear brake switch mount on the CL77 is a particular favourite . . .

Cheers

Just to be clear Ed...

Please comment:

Thanks, Dan
One (hopefully) last question....

I have *painstakingly* gone through all the best practices with regards to the clutch cable adjustment (loosen 10mm bolt - rotate large slotted cam left right left etc.)....

If I remove the side cover to "re-position" the kick start lever - will I need to go back through the clutch cable adjustment procedure ?

Thanks, Dan

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:37 am

I can't think of any reason you would. .............lm

danielzink wrote:
LOUD MOUSE wrote:The lever in pic 1 is wrong.

danielzink wrote:

Cheers

Just to be clear Ed...

Please comment:

Thanks, Dan
One (hopefully) last question....

I have *painstakingly* gone through all the best practices with regards to the clutch cable adjustment (loosen 10mm bolt - rotate large slotted cam left right left etc.)....

If I remove the side cover to "re-position" the kick start lever - will I need to go back through the clutch cable adjustment procedure ?

Thanks, Dan

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home