honda305.com Forum

Login
□ Search
□ FAQ 
□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Where is the friction point on your clutch?

Clutch, Transmission, Drive Chain, Sprockets
vespadaddy
honda305.com Member

Where is the friction point on your clutch?

Post by vespadaddy » Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:07 pm

I just acquired a 68 Dream. It was restored in '93, and spent a decade as living room art before I got it.

It runs and rides great, and my clutch doesn't slip, and it disengages fine when I pull the lever. My only complaint is that no manner of adjusting the cable or the clutch adjuster on the side cover (10 mm nut and large slot screw), will move the friction zone of the clutch at the lever.

My bike doesn't begin to move until the lever is nearly all the way out, which is different than most any bike I have owned. If I adjust the side cover adjuster to give the lever more free play, the clutch doesn't disengage. I would like the friction zone to be closer to the lever squeezed tight to the grip.

Is this due to the design of the Dream clutch, or do I have worn parts, or is there any other (internal?) adjustment I could make?

DJM
honda305.com Member

Clutch

Post by DJM » Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:05 pm

If it doesn't slip and disengages fine why worry, if it ain't broke why try tp fix it?

vespadaddy
honda305.com Member

Post by vespadaddy » Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:55 pm

Like I said, I dislike where the engagement zone is on the lever. If that's how they all were, I'll learn to live with it. If I can change it, I will.

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:07 pm

You adjust it with the adjusters at the end of the cable.
If as you say nothing changes you are not doing the adjustment correctly.
I tough myself back in 1964 and I learned how you can too. ...................lm

vespadaddy wrote:Like I said, I dislike where the engagement zone is on the lever. If that's how they all were, I'll learn to live with it. If I can change it, I will.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home