Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Clutch slippage woes....

Clutch, Transmission, Drive Chain, Sprockets
redblk63
honda305.com Member

Post by redblk63 » Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:21 am

Here’s my experience for what it’s worth. I have had 2 cb77s, one from 1967 to 1970 and one from 1980 to now. Both clutches would slip a bit at full throttle. This would be worst after long term storage, made better by riding it I imagined I was burning off a glaze.

All this is using automobile oil. Yes, I tried expensive motorcycle oil meant for wet clutches. There was zero difference as far as I could tell. I finally fixed the clip on my current bike by using the Barnett springs, as was suggested above. A cheap and effective fix. The clutch pull is still very acceptable. I enforce the advice above on setting the release lever to 90 degrees for max mechanical advantage.

My experience: oil makes negligible difference, Barnett springs fixed slippage.

Your mileage may vary. Best of luck.
Larry

danielzink
honda305.com Member

Post by danielzink » Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:56 am

I've meant to follow up on this but things seems to keep getting in the way...

Finally...in a fit of despair....

I dug through my tote filed with the cast off parts from the Dream....

at the bottom of the tote wrapped in a plastic bag......

My old <original> clutch basket and plates.....

So...yes...

I removed all the old (phenolic) clutch friction plates.....installed them on the new basket and steels...

And was able to ride the bike for the entire Gentlemen's Ride (approx 2hrs) with no slippage.

This tells my that I must've fouled the new (aluminum core) friction plates by marinating them in a bath of synthetic oil over the winter....(I changed my oil when I put the bike away last year)...

That all bring said...I'm going to source a new set of friction plates over the winter and install them.

Lesson learned - I'll only use Honda GN4 spec oil in the bike (no flames - it's what I'm going to use - that is all)....

Dan

redblk63
honda305.com Member

Post by redblk63 » Fri Oct 11, 2019 4:02 pm

Way to go, Dan, you fixed it! By the way, I do not doubt that the special motorcycle oil is better. It just didn’t help my clutch. Well done on staying after it.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home