Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Clutch cable replacement

Clutch, Transmission, Drive Chain, Sprockets
geosar
honda305.com Member

Clutch cable replacement

Post by geosar » Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:48 pm

I have searched this forum and apparently the clutch cable replacement thread has been eliminated. I have a new clutch cable and I want to replace it with minimal invasion or damage to my bike. I have a 1966 Honda CL77 Scrambler 305.

It appears the kick starter lever needs to be removed. There seems to be a circle clip on the bottom of the bolt-remove that clip and slip the bolt out of the lever? Any tricks or surprises I might be missing?

The schematics are vague and some show a spring in the starter lever so I do not want to have parts flying. Then remove the bolts from the periphery ?

There is a hex bolt at 7 o'clock by the stator. Does that need to be removed ?

Sorry if this is too fundamental but I hate making extra work.

I also want to that Mike for eliminating the spam.

George
Arizona

DJM
honda305.com Member

Re: Clutch cable replacement

Post by DJM » Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:43 am

George,

No need to remove the kickstart lever.

First remove the alternator cover, 3 x 5mm countersuk screws, then the separate little piece that fits top left of the main side cover, 2 x 6mm crossheads

Then remove all the remaining 6mm crosshead screws from the side cover, from memory I think there are eight.

Then, carefully draw off the side cover complete with clutch cable fittings and the kickstart lever.

Two things to watch here, first take a careful note, or even a picture showing the position of the kickstart lever before you take off the side cover..

Then, as you draw the cover off, the kickstart lever will attempt to to spin round (quite hard) in a clockwise direction.

Make sure you have a firm hold of it and just let in unwind when you have the cover clear of the engine.

Replace the cable at leisure, then replace it all again, turning the kickstart lever anti-clockwise until it's in its original position before pushing the cover fully home.

Replace and tighten all the screws etc , job done.

geosar
honda305.com Member

Post by geosar » Thu Feb 06, 2020 1:42 pm

DJM

Thank you so much.

I am on it as soon as I get my well plumbing sorted out after the cold weather.

I really appreciate the help.

George

geosar
honda305.com Member

Post by geosar » Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:45 pm

DJM

It worked just as you said. After I removed the foot pegs and bracket.

Very easy and worth waiting for a perfect answer.

On to to more rust and chipped paint. I may put a new chain on while I am in the innards.

Thank you very much

George

DJM
honda305.com Member

Post by DJM » Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:37 am

I forgot to mention the footpeg bracket, actually if you remove the to bolts on the right hand side and loosen the two on the left you can often move the RH footrest bar far enough down to allow the cover to be removed without taking the footrests completely off, I suppose that's a tip for next time, sorry!

geosar
honda305.com Member

Post by geosar » Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:03 pm

Please don't apologize. You help me tremendously. Had I not waited for your answer I would have probably removed unnecessary parts and created all kinds of mayhem.

Thank you

George

G-Man
honda305.com Member

Post by G-Man » Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:43 pm

Don't forget the 5/16" ball-bearing inside the clutch lifter. it can drop out, leading to difficulties getting the clutch adjustment right....

G
'60 C77 '60 C72 '62 C72 Dream '63 CL72
'61 CB72 '64 CB77 '65 CB160
'66 Matchless 350 '67 CL77
'67 S90 '77 CB400F

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home