Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Starting sprocket

Norm
honda305.com Member

Starting sprocket

Post by Norm » Tue Jul 20, 2004 9:29 pm

I'm restoring my '65 CB 77. When I bought it many years ago it had no electric starter. I have now added a starter from a CA 77 that seems to match up just fine. The only problem is the starting gear does not engage the engine and I can see no reason why it would. The crank is smooth under the gear and although the sproket is slightly &quot;rifled&quot;, I can not see how it would grab the shaft. Interestingly enough, the starter turned th old CA 77 engine over nicely, but I can not see a reason for this either. How do these things work? I'm in the process of rebuilding the kicker, but would like the electric too.<br />Thanks for any help you can give me.

kustommusic
honda305.com Member

Re: Starting sprocket

Post by kustommusic » Tue Sep 14, 2004 9:50 pm

I realize this message has been here for awhile but I'm working on my starter right now so it's current to me. I couldn't tell by your discription if your engine has the starter clutch and sprocket in place behind the stator. It kinda sounded like they were AWOL. Can you clear that up? also a manual is alot of help in these situations(hint) good luck.

Norm
honda305.com Member

Post by Norm » Tue Feb 08, 2005 8:39 pm

OK if anyone cares I finally solved this mystery in my own mind. Once I found those funny little starter rollers that were lying on my basement floor and figured out were they go along with their springs, the starter engages just fine. If I live long enough I might learn about these things! By the way, they did not seem to need any grease.

georGe
honda305.com Member

Post by georGe » Tue Feb 08, 2005 10:48 pm

I must have missed ye post in the maze of the boards !<br />Glad to hear ya found yer problem.<br /><br />georGe

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home