□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

where do I acquire replacement screws JIS for a 64 305

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:46 pm

I am aware of this and wonder why "paperslammer" hasn't replied to this?. .........lm
border0_3 wrote:Hi LM. The block itself should have no JIS threads. They're all 6mm or 8mm. Unless I'm missing an oddball somewhere?

conbs
honda305.com Member

JIS taps

Post by conbs » Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:40 pm

I recall looking at my Craftsman tap & die set from the 70's and recall being surprised to find it had the JIS thread pitches included in the set. IIRC I also looked at a couple new tap and die sets on eBay that also had the JIS-pitch taps and dies.

paperslammer
honda305.com Member

Taps

Post by paperslammer » Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:39 pm

Hey guys,

sorry for the late reply, I don't have an alert that tells me if anyone has responded! Oops.

Ok so it sounds like there aren't JIS threads in the engine block. Great!

Yes, I am talking about the threads that are for the screw that holds the dynamo cover plate in place. Now that I know it's not JIS, I can find the right taps!

Thanks!
'64 CA77 305 Dream

Hoosier Tom
honda305.com Member

Re: Taps

Post by Hoosier Tom » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:44 pm

paperslammer wrote:Yes, I am talking about the threads that are for the screw that holds the dynamo cover plate in place. Now that I know it's not JIS, I can find the right taps!
Paperslammer,

The 5x16 oval head screws that attach the Dynamo cover are JIS. It gets screwed into the kick cover on the CA77.

HT

paperslammer
honda305.com Member

Post by paperslammer » Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:54 pm

Hoosier Tom wrote:
paperslammer wrote:Yes, I am talking about the threads that are for the screw that holds the dynamo cover plate in place. Now that I know it's not JIS, I can find the right taps!
Paperslammer,

The 5x16 oval head screws that attach the Dynamo cover are JIS. It gets screwed into the kick cover on the CA77.

HT
So now do we have conflicting stories? Some people say Yes, it's JIS, other say it's not? For clarity, I am talking about part #30 on this fische here
'64 CA77 305 Dream

jkv357
honda305.com Member

Post by jkv357 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:00 pm

paperslammer wrote:
So now do we have conflicting stories? Some people say Yes, it's JIS, other say it's not? For clarity, I am talking about part #30 on this fische here
Looking at mine and comparing the thread pitch to the standard M5, the pitch of the Honda screw is not the same as what is commonly used - so I would say it's a JIS screw.

Hoosier Tom
honda305.com Member

Post by Hoosier Tom » Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:27 pm

paperslammer wrote:
Hoosier Tom wrote:
Paperslammer,

HT
No conflict on my end. #30 is the 5x16 screw I described above and it is JIS. You confused the issue when you asked about engine block threads and then asked about Dynamo cover screws. These screws don't go into the engine cases, or as you described, engine block.

HT

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home