Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Stripped Screws on right Crankcase Cover

outdoors4me
honda305.com Member

Stripped Screws on right Crankcase Cover

Post by outdoors4me » Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:44 pm

So, I've started tearing down the bike. Everything was going fine until I got to some already somewhat stripped out screws. I tried the usual tricks - shooting some Liquid Wrench, putting a large rubber band in there to try and gain traction. When this didn't work, I bought a screw extraction set. Didn't work on one and broke off in another!!!!

So now I guess I'm left with one other option, which is drilling the heads off the screws.

Here's the question: I drill the screw heads off and remove the crankcase cover. Will there be enough of the screw shank sticking out so that I can clamp a vice grip on it to remove?

Thanks,

Beck

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Re: Stripped Screws on right Crankcase Cover

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:24 pm

You will know when you look at the total length of the screw. ..............lm

outdoors4me wrote:So, I've started tearing down the bike. Everything was going fine until I got to some already somewhat stripped out screws. I tried the usual tricks - shooting some Liquid Wrench, putting a large rubber band in there to try and gain traction. When this didn't work, I bought a screw extraction set. Didn't work on one and broke off in another!!!!

So now I guess I'm left with one other option, which is drilling the heads off the screws.

Here's the question: I drill the screw heads off and remove the crankcase cover. Will there be enough of the screw shank sticking out so that I can clamp a vice grip on it to remove?

Thanks,

Beck

cadman
honda305.com Member

Screws

Post by cadman » Sat Aug 26, 2017 4:59 pm

Work a lot on old Hondas, mostly 4 cyl - Drilled the screw heads off quit a bit. Aluminum and metal do not play well together. Usually plenty of screw sticking out to grab on to. Occasionally I might heat the area with a heat gun before trying to remove the screw. I have also welded a nut on the screw end and tried it that way - Have to be careful you are close to the aluminum. I also usually put these things back together with Never-Seize.

Tim Allman
honda305.com Member

Post by Tim Allman » Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:29 am

Have you ever considered buying a hand impact driver? I have rarely had trouble with screws since acquiring it.

cadman
honda305.com Member

Screws

Post by cadman » Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:27 am

I have two manual impact drivers and one that is powered. The first problem is finding a phillips bit that will work. The second is that after a couple of tries the screw head is damaged beyond using. It is fairly easy to drill off screw head and remove remaining screw once cover is removed.

G3
honda305.com Member

Post by G3 » Sun Aug 27, 2017 3:18 pm

Difficult removal of screws on cases-

One of the tips I learned EARLY on this forum was when encountering screws that seemingly won't budge after two or three mild attempts with the impact, is NOT TO REPEATEDLY HIT IT HARDER as you risk cracking the case. Guess I called it a "newbie mistake", because I did.
But rather do this; with a proper screw driver bit, hold the bit in the screw head and wack it a couple of times with a medium hammer, then try your easy impact driver. Evidently that pre-shock breaks the whatever it is that seems to bind the screw head to the case.

Kid you not, after cracking my kicker case up by the chain guard, and THEN using this tip, all screws came out with less difficulty, THANKS TO THIS FORUM.

jleewebb
honda305.com Member

Re: Screws

Post by jleewebb » Sun Aug 27, 2017 4:59 pm

cadman wrote:I have two manual impact drivers and one that is powered. The first problem is finding a phillips bit that will work. The second is that after a couple of tries the screw head is damaged beyond using. It is fairly easy to drill off screw head and remove remaining screw once cover is removed.
A JIS screwdriver/tip is essential for these screws. They even work better on regular phillips head screws. You've been around a while Cadman
so most likely know that, message is more for the newbies.
'62 CB77. "It's a rider."

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home