Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Which speedo to use?

djohns
honda305.com Member

Which speedo to use?

Post by djohns » Sat May 02, 2020 9:11 pm

1964 CA77 engine ser # CA77E-102241, frame ser # CA78-102223. I have a couple of speedos but not sure which one goes on above bike. One has high beam indicator socket along with the speedo backlight. This one is a Nippon-Seiki speedo. The other has only speedo backlight socket and is a Fuji-Denki. I don't seem to be able to find plugins on the harness for the two light speedo. Any comments as to which one belongs on this bike before sending off to Foreign Speedo. The two are not interchangeable because of different screw spacings in the case to speedo mechanism. Thanks in advance for any insights

djohns
honda305.com Member

Re: Which speedo to use?

Post by djohns » Sun May 03, 2020 5:09 pm

Further investigation using my ‘64 CA95 wiring and e3steves color wiring diagram (thanks Steve), I took a good look at the CA77 in question. It appears there is a double female connection on the blue wire going to the high beam terminal of the headlight. This would power the high beam indicator in the speedo when high beam is selected. In addition there is another double female connection on the green wire coming off the key switch going to the high/low selector switch . Serving to power the speedo backlight bulb. It seems the question is answered, however as always comments are welcome. Thanks

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home