Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Left Sparks, Right No Spark

Points Based Ignition | Electronic Ignition Upgrade
KMan
honda305.com Member

Left Sparks, Right No Spark

Post by KMan » Sat May 07, 2005 2:44 pm

I just got at '66 CB77. There is a good spark on the left side but no spark on the right side. I ordered new ignition coils from Honda BUT they are not the same as the original ones. The new ones have a black plastic cylinder and a second metal cylinder. There is a wire that runs from the metal cylinder along the side of the black plastic cylinder and then into the black cylinder. I'm trying to figure out if I can use the new ones.<br /><br />The part #s on the boxes match even though the parts themselves do not match. Puzzling?? The mounting brackets on the new parts line up correctly to the old holes on the frame. The problem is the wiring on the new coils does not appear to match the old coils. <br /><br />The new coils have a black and a green wire on the right side and on the left side they have a black and a yellow.<br /><br />The original coils have the same black and green, black and yellow BUT on the right side there is also a separate place where the wire from the points attach. The original also has a ground running to the frame. <br /><br />I have a pretty good idea where to attach the ground but NO idea where the line from the points should attach. <br /><br />Has anyone else run into this? Any idea if I can use the new coils? and if so, where would the wire from the coil go? or Where can I find the matching coils? My coils look like the ones in the pictures on this site for the E-Ignition.<br /><br />Thanks for any help or ideas!!<br />-K

kustommusic
honda305.com Member

Re: Left Sparks, Right No Spark

Post by kustommusic » Sat May 07, 2005 6:53 pm

K-man, Your discription of the new coils have me scratching my head. All I know what to say is my coils (on both my cb77's) are two seperate units that share a dual condenser.The mounting bracket for the coils is seperate and sorta wraps around the coils so when you tighten the bracket to the frame (above the engine) you also tighten the brackets that hold the coils. Hope this helps some. When you say the replacement coils are the same part # as what you removed,could it be that what you removed was wrong? As in installed by a previous owner. Did you check anything else for the miss on the right? Let us know, and welcome to the forum!! Steve Greer

KMan
honda305.com Member

Post by KMan » Sun May 08, 2005 8:55 am

I got the part #'s from the honda dealer. The original parts, the picture of the part at the dealer and the one you described are all the same. But what I got from the dealer does not match. <br /><br />In any event, I decided to try taking the right coil and mounting on the left side. IT WORKED!! So now I know the problem is not the coil itself.<br /><br />Next I tried connecting both of the original coils back up. I then ran a new &quot;test wire&quot; from the + side one coil to the + side on the other. On my bike there is a black wire that runs from one side to the other. There is an original wire that runs from the same two places. . . and sure enough . . . I GOT A SPARK!!!! So my next task is to replace the original black wire . . . it must have a break in it . . .<br /><br />I do have another question . . . on your bike is the black wire connested to each of the (+) and on the left a yellow to (-) and on the right a green to (-)???<br /><br />Thanks for the warm welcome . . .<br /><br />I got the bike as a surprise present for my wife and I'm trying to get it running and cleaned up by June 7th!!! YIKES!!! It's coming up fast!!!

KMan
honda305.com Member

Post by KMan » Sun May 08, 2005 7:07 pm

I just checked the electrical diagram in Bill Silver's manual and I have it correct.

kustommusic
honda305.com Member

Post by kustommusic » Mon May 09, 2005 5:33 pm

K man, Yeaaaaa!! It sure helps having the diagrams etc. I'd be lost with out em. Steve Greer

perryT200
honda305.com Member

Post by perryT200 » Tue May 10, 2005 9:21 pm

kman, i thought i had mine right, but i wired the hot correctly to one coil, and incorrectly into one condensor.<br /><br />you have a short? blowing fuses or tripping a relay?

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home