Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Problems With Ignition Advance?

Points Based Ignition | Electronic Ignition Upgrade
Tom W.
honda305.com Member

Re: It Was The Spark Plug Wires

Post by Tom W. » Fri Oct 14, 2005 8:52 am

Hi Everyone:<br />She runs good now! First, I'd like to thank Loud Mouse for talking with me and suggesting what to check. It was a great help!<br /><br />After eliminating the carburation as the source of the problem, I decided to swap the coils. In the process of swapping, I did what Loud Mouse suggested and clipped 1/4&quot; off the ends of the wires. Sure enough, after that the engine ran great. Last night she pulled hard and I rev'd it up to ~8K rpm.<br /><br />I should mention here that I added a longer fuel line from the right side of the tank to the petcock. With the long fuel line I was able to prop the tank up with a wood block and swap the coils. I was draining the fuel tank every time I worked on the carbs and that was driving me crazy.<br /><br />Thanks to everyone that helped,<br />Tom

cr_monk
honda305.com Member

Re: Problems With Ignition Advance?

Post by cr_monk » Sat Nov 05, 2005 10:36 am

hello-<br /><br />sorry to be jumping in the middle of this thread, but I've been following it closely as I am having a similar problem with my CA77.<br /><br />You mention &quot;swapping&quot; the coils...would this be ignition? are there 2 on the CB's? And what is with the &quot;clipping&quot;?<br /><br />Sorry for my ignorance.<br />much thanks.<br />

kustommusic
honda305.com Member

Post by kustommusic » Sun Nov 06, 2005 2:57 pm

Monk, They were saying you could try to cut some off the spark plug wires(about 1/2 in.) and replace the fresh end into the coil,if you have enough length do it on the spark plug end too. If the spark has to jump a gap it builds up a carbon like corrosion that acts like a resistor in the end of the plug wire.<br /> There are two seperate coils on a CB (kinda makes life simpler dont you think?) On your CA you have one with two secondary outputs,those can be swapped. I dont know if that acomplishes the same thing though. The firing is different between the two,CA is a Twingle set up(both cylinders fire in unison) Just a note: I working on memory here,if L.M. or someone else knows different please let us know.Steve Greer

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Sun Nov 06, 2005 3:46 pm

Ca72/77 ignition.<br />Both cylinders do fire the plug at the same time but one cylinder is on compression stroke and other is on exhaust stroke. .............LM
RIDE IT DON'T HIDE IT!

kustommusic
honda305.com Member

Post by kustommusic » Sun Nov 06, 2005 9:12 pm

Thanks Ed, Steve

cr_monk
honda305.com Member

Post by cr_monk » Tue Nov 08, 2005 2:11 pm

Thanks for the clarification.<br /><br />I have finally broken down and am getting a new ignition coil and plug wires. So I guess it is moot.<br /><br />thanks again though!

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home