Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

De-mystification -- points' components' order of assembly

Points Based Ignition | Electronic Ignition Upgrade
kungfutoast
honda305.com Member

Points Confirmation

Post by kungfutoast » Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:27 pm

Ok, Help me out here, banging my head agains the wall. I have a basket case CA77 in a Cl77 frame with all the issues. The big ticket item my small brain can't get past are the points. The diagram over at CMSNL https://www.cmsnl.com/honda-ca77-1960-1 ... FUXq89KjUJ Shows one point on the plate however everything on the forum shows two and my Stator/magno has two firing marks... More over, when I search the part number on ebay I get a totally different point 30202-259-003. The listed one on CMSNL is the same as I have on my plate. I ordered one off of fleabay and got a totally different, non compatible point.

The bike was donated to me. Total barn find with no history attached other than the PO was a hoarder. At first glance you would think the bike was complete and ready to roll. But I am finding this is not the case.

So, should the CA77 have 1 or two points and two condensers to complete the package? Am I spazing out for no reason? I am getting a spark but I am not getting detonation.

Thank you for any and all feed back even the make fun of me kind. :)

rrietman
honda305.com Member

Post by rrietman » Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:20 am

CA77--one set of points/condenser one f-mark on the stator. CL77 two sets of points/condensers two f-marks on the stator. It's the crankshaft configuration---180 vs 360. sounds like someone has mixed up some parts here. the crankcases are pretty much interchangable. how many carbs?
Good luck
Randy

DJM
honda305.com Member

CA77 Points

Post by DJM » Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:17 pm

If the engine is a hybrid made up of both C/CA and CB parts the main issue here is whether it's a 180 degree or a 360 degree crankshaft. A 360 degree engine could have two carbs but still only need one set of points.

A 180 degree crank engine would need to have two sets of points to run but wouldn't work well with a C/CA (single carb) head.

kungfutoast
honda305.com Member

Post by kungfutoast » Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:26 pm

Thanks for the feedback. There is one carb on the motor. The case has the CA77 stamped on it. I'm going to assume it is a stock CA77 just in a CL77 frame. I'll keep at it and order a new point and see if I can get combustion. The bike has good compression and everything is dialed in.

Thanks again!

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home