honda305.com Forum

Login
□ Search
□ FAQ 
□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Anyone ever thought about making an electronic ignition?

Points Based Ignition | Electronic Ignition Upgrade
sprocket
honda305.com Member

Post by sprocket » Sat Dec 04, 2010 2:55 pm

Hi!
I've been working on this same system for a few months. I'll be using one pick-up and a dual coil from a CB 750 or anything else that uses that kind of coil. The up side is that the components are rather inexpensive the down is that the points cam must be removed and machined for an adaptor to hold the "magnet plate". I got the adaptor from "Vicious Cycles" in Oregon. They have a complete kit for the CB160 but the only thing that will work from them is the adaptor as the ignition on the 160 is completly different from the CB 77. Their phone is 503-285-8824. A new points plate will also need to be made. Two of the magnets will have to be removed, which two I don't know yet as I'm still working on the mechanicals. I know that both plugs will fire at the same time,one being wasted on the exhaust stroke, but the factories have been doing it this way for decades. If you are looking for a cheap and easy route to follow this is not it, I would suggest the system being sold here, as it is "bolt on". However, if you woul like to persue this I'm willing to share ideas and help with machining.
Yours,
Karl Hoglund

56_oval
honda305.com Member

Post by 56_oval » Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:55 pm

sprocket wrote:Hi!
I've been working on this same system for a few months. I'll be using one pick-up and a dual coil from a CB 750 or anything else that uses that kind of coil. The up side is that the components are rather inexpensive the down is that the points cam must be removed and machined for an adaptor to hold the "magnet plate". I got the adaptor from "Vicious Cycles" in Oregon. They have a complete kit for the CB160 but the only thing that will work from them is the adaptor as the ignition on the 160 is completly different from the CB 77. Their phone is 503-285-8824. A new points plate will also need to be made. Two of the magnets will have to be removed, which two I don't know yet as I'm still working on the mechanicals. I know that both plugs will fire at the same time,one being wasted on the exhaust stroke, but the factories have been doing it this way for decades. If you are looking for a cheap and easy route to follow this is not it, I would suggest the system being sold here, as it is "bolt on". However, if you woul like to persue this I'm willing to share ideas and help with machining.
Yours,
Karl Hoglund
Thanks Karl, you're on the same track I am. I'll continue to sort things out this other way and I might work on the other design in the future.

Gunner_CAF
honda305.com Member

Post by Gunner_CAF » Sat Dec 11, 2010 3:22 pm

Wilf wrote:From your description it sounds like a reed switch does the switching of the coil primary?

I know how an ignition coil works. What I want to know is how your system works from the point of picking up the magnetic pulse to the triggering of the coil.

Wilf
Wilf,

To answer your question, the current induced by the magnet as it passes the pickup coil goes to a transistor. The transistor is the switch that fires the big coil and produces the spark on the plug.

Gunner

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home