honda305.com Forum

Login
□ Search
□ FAQ 
□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Anyone ever thought about making an electronic ignition?

Points Based Ignition | Electronic Ignition Upgrade
56_oval
honda305.com Member

Anyone ever thought about making an electronic ignition?

Post by 56_oval » Thu Dec 02, 2010 4:08 pm

In the VW scene, we used a little part called the Compufire in place of points. It was a little magnet induced points and condenser replacement that bolted in place of the points and came with a little magnet wheel instead of a rotor. I would think that two of them could be used on a special plate to fire the plugs. The plate would have to be made or possibly be made out of a stock points plate. The other thing that would have to be fabricated would be the magnet wheel.
I'm considering something like this in the future, but I thought I'd see if anyone else had tried something familiar before. What is the correct timing for a stock Cb77?

Sascha
honda305.com Member

Post by Sascha » Thu Dec 02, 2010 4:09 pm

They sell electronic ignitions on the site...
-Sascha

56_oval
honda305.com Member

Post by 56_oval » Thu Dec 02, 2010 4:19 pm

Sascha wrote:They sell electronic ignitions on the site...
-Sascha
I saw that, but I really enjoy trying new stuff and saving some money. I can get two of these for under $70 and I should have most of the materials to build the plate and disc in the garage. So, feasibly I could make the entire system for under $80. It doesn't require an electronics box, it just hooks directly to the coils. When the magnet passes over the module, it fires the coil. Fairly simple design.
Last edited by 56_oval on Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

cyclon36
honda305.com Member

Post by cyclon36 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 4:27 pm

Looking at the one that's available for now: http://www.honda305.com/ignition/

It doesn't seem as easy as you describe. I'll admit though I'm not an electronics guy. I'm all for simplicity though. If you can make something work that has less parts and is as reliable, I'd buy it. I'm sure others would too.

56_oval
honda305.com Member

Post by 56_oval » Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:24 pm

cyclon36 wrote:Looking at the one that's available for now: http://www.honda305.com/ignition/

It doesn't seem as easy as you describe. I'll admit though I'm not an electronics guy. I'm all for simplicity though. If you can make something work that has less parts and is as reliable, I'd buy it. I'm sure others would too.
Well, I'll admit that I'm not familiar with the ignition system on the 305, but I can't see how it's any different than any other point system. When the contacts break, the coil fires. It's that simple. The device above just replaces the points and condenser and tell the coil to fire when the magnet passes over it. Now, if there is interference because of the electrics or the stator, then it might not work, but I think it is far enough away to prevent that.
I think when I have some extra cash, I might try it. The trick is to find a spot to mount each one so that when the magnet passes over it, it triggers it's coil.
Last edited by 56_oval on Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wilf
honda305.com Member

Post by Wilf » Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:08 pm

I would be interested in knowing exactly how the passing of a magnet interrupts the primary coil voltage resulting in the firing of the plug. Somehow the passing magnetic field has to open the coil primary circuit--how is it done?

Wilf

56_oval
honda305.com Member

Post by 56_oval » Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:40 pm

Wilf wrote:I would be interested in knowing exactly how the passing of a magnet interrupts the primary coil voltage resulting in the firing of the plug. Somehow the passing magnetic field has to open the coil primary circuit--how is it done?

Wilf
Check out this site. It's very informative with info on both points systems and electronic systems.

http://www.jetav8r.com/Vision/Ignition/CDI.html

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home