Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Any locksmiths in the house?

Points Based Ignition | Electronic Ignition Upgrade
DianneB
honda305.com Member

Any locksmiths in the house?

Post by DianneB » Mon Jul 20, 2015 5:52 pm

I have a '67 C77 with 6 position ignition switch and bought a replacement key.

I understand that the key should only come out in 2 positions but I can remove the key in all 6 positions.

What, specifically, is supposed to stop the key from being withdrawn in 4 positions and let it be removed in 2 positions?

Do they do this with 3 piece pins?

(I have some understanding of how locks work.)

HELP!

Yasojaki
honda305.com Member

Post by Yasojaki » Thu Aug 13, 2015 12:29 am

Want to bring this information to publish in various media.

Vilstant
honda305.com Member

Post by Vilstant » Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:22 am

So far as i can see your replacement key is not usable. A locksmith http://locksmithvaughan24.ca cut another one from a blank and i have no issues with my '76 Honda.

allencooper
honda305.com Member

Post by allencooper » Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:50 am

Vilstant wrote:So far as i can see your replacement key is not usable. A locksmith http://locksmithvaughan24.ca cut another one from a blank and i have no issues with my '76 Honda.
Having key cut from a locksmith is cheaper then going to the dealer. You have chosen the right option to get the new key.

Tim Allman
honda305.com Member

Re: Any locksmiths in the house?

Post by Tim Allman » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:51 am

DianneB wrote:I have a '67 C77 with 6 position ignition switch and bought a replacement key.

I understand that the key should only come out in 2 positions but I can remove the key in all 6 positions.

What, specifically, is supposed to stop the key from being withdrawn in 4 positions and let it be removed in 2 positions?

Do they do this with 3 piece pins?

(I have some understanding of how locks work.)

HELP!
I had this problem once. Honda locks from the era are not especially robust and mine became so worn that the key could be removed in any position and with a little patience I could turn the core with a screwdriver. Replacement was the only option.

In a pin tumbler lock that works properly the upper and lower pins are sized such that a key will cause all of the pins to align with the top of the core and allow the core to turn. (http://lockwiki.com/index.php/Pin_tumbler) In this position the pins are held in position and prevent withdrawal of the key. I suspect that in a lock with two positions that allow the key to be inserted or removed there is a second set of upper pins at the second position.

jacksmith12
honda305.com Member

Post by jacksmith12 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:58 am

Last night i come in trouble with front door lock as i tried to open it but the lock won't open. Then i visited find nearby locksmith site to find the locksmith near me, there i have found many locksmiths near in which i have called one for the emergency. They immediately came to the spot and fix the lock issue.

OdisJohnson
honda305.com Member

Post by OdisJohnson » Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:42 am

There are many ways to get the locksmith but always choose the one which offers instant service at reasonable prices.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home