Admirers

Question for Elektronik Sachse Ignition Users

Points Based Ignition | Electronic Ignition Upgrade
Jlovvorn
honda305.com Member

Question for Elektronik Sachse Ignition Users

Post by Jlovvorn » Mon May 25, 2020 8:14 am

Hey there,
Does the Sachse ignition system require I open the engine and weld my mechanical advance in place, or does it somehow manage the advance electronically regardless of what the mechanical advance unit is doing at various RPMs?
I don’t pretend to understand advance and ignition, but is seems like the electronic and mechanical until could compete with each other.
Also, if the function of the mechanical advance is sloppy and out of spec, (loose springs, etc), will that affect the function of the Sachse?
In other words, if the answer is the Sachse will control things electronically fine as long as the mechanic advance is working property, that’s important too, as it means I have to open the engine.
Pulling the engine isn’t out of the question but I need to know if this is a two hour or a two day upgrade.
Sorry if this is a stupid question but I did a forum search and saw a reference to someone welding their advancer and didn’t find any answers in the Sachse instructions.

DJM
honda305.com Member

Re: Question for Elektronik Sachse Ignition Users

Post by DJM » Mon May 25, 2020 9:22 am

As I understand it the Sachse ignition is mounted on the crankshaft outboard of the alternator and if so would be totally unaffected by the condition of the advancer or indeed anything in the cam / points drive system.
To my mind the this is best reason by far for choosing this ignition over any others available which all seem to sit as replacements for the points base plate. Well worth the extra money. Also I believe that it offers a choice of different advance curves to experiment with.

DJM
honda305.com Member

Post by DJM » Mon May 25, 2020 9:34 am

Reading your previous post, if you really never take the bike above 4k or 50mph I think you're wasting your $$$ uprating the stock ignition system to the Sachse system or anything else either. Better to look for a set of serviceable original carbs or try a set of the Mikunis or MOLKT ones which seem to be available, a better return for your cash I think.

Jlovvorn
honda305.com Member

Post by Jlovvorn » Mon May 25, 2020 11:02 am

Thanks a ton for the explanation, and that’s solid advice about not putting a racing ignition on a bike that runs back and forth to the pub :)

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home