Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Elektronik Sachse Ignition

Points Based Ignition | Electronic Ignition Upgrade
Jlovvorn
honda305.com Member

Elektronik Sachse Ignition

Post by Jlovvorn » Thu Jun 04, 2020 4:24 pm

Today I made an attempt to install the Sachse electronic ignition on my CB77, which cost a pretty penny.

After mounting the provided plate bolts with very gentle torque, I returned to my workbench and heard a “pop.”

I returned to the bike and found the bolt head snapped off, disabling my motorbike, and making the install impossible.

I now have to drill out the broken bolt.

I am 5’8 and 170 pounds, and am NOT a bolt snapper. I have worked on these bikes for a long time.

This is totally unacceptable at the expensive price point for this ignition.

At least it didn't snap off after I had buttoned everything up.

I would demand another bolt, but whats the point with that level of quality.

I can't figure out how to post a picture, but I can send it to anyone who is curious.

So very disappointed.

Nest step is to pull the head and go after the advancer.
Last edited by Jlovvorn on Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

DJM
honda305.com Member

Re: Elektronik Sachse Ignition - Junk, Do not buy

Post by DJM » Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:04 am

It seems very odd that a bolt should snap off like that, especially as you were not applying any torque to it at the time, something I've never heard of before.

However, whilst the quality of that particular bolt is clearly suspect it seems harsh to write off the entire kit as 'junk' and give a 'Do Not Buy' recommendation based on one bolt. Is it a special bolt or can you proceed with the install with just a standard replacement?

This kit is one of the few, or perhaps the only one which places the trigger where it should be, IE on the crankshaft, and is the only one I would consider if I were in the market for a kit. Actually I'm not, as I've said before on this site, for a bike being used for normal street riding the standard O.E.M. system is more than adequate. That said i'd like to try one of the Sachse kits to evaluate the improvements,what are you doing with your 'old' kit? Do you want to sell it on?

Jlovvorn
honda305.com Member

Post by Jlovvorn » Mon Jun 08, 2020 4:18 pm

They are shipping me new bolts, which honestly I am going to stress test one of before I try again. I was probably too harsh but this thing snapped off in a way that it would be unfair to Chinese manufacturing to call it a cheap Chinese bolt. For this price point it should be durable. They were very responsive, and it seems like a cool product, but could I button up the stator cover and go for a ride with these bolts? I don’t see it. But again, I will see if I can repeat the failure with the next set of bolts. They are specialty bolts. Maybe there are other sources but it’s not like you can throw in a 10mm and be back in the game. I will PM you if I sell it but if the next set of bolts aren’t better it’s gonna be a return or a credit card reversal.

DJM
honda305.com Member

Post by DJM » Mon Jun 08, 2020 5:32 pm

Any chance of a picture showing how it goes together. I can't quite understand how they manage to fit it over the existing alternator rotor but still mange to use the standard cover, must be a tight squeeze?

Jlovvorn
honda305.com Member

Post by Jlovvorn » Tue Jun 09, 2020 9:42 pm

It’s very tight, but it looks like it should fit. New bolts arrive tmw. I will take pictures. Just need to figure out how to post them. Important note, you have to grind out a passage on either the lid or the cover for the leads to come out of the unit to your electronics. If you don’t want to alter your cover or the lid this unit is not a good choice.

DJM
honda305.com Member

Post by DJM » Wed Jun 10, 2020 5:25 am

Grinding a small groove for the wiring seems a small price to pay for what seems a good product, triggers from the crank as it should. To me anything that works from the original points cam area is loosing half of the potential benefits of the upgrade. Keep us all informed as to progress.

Jlovvorn
honda305.com Member

Post by Jlovvorn » Sun Jun 21, 2020 7:11 pm

I got it in, after a lot of fitting. Great design, poor execution. It is a nice ignition. Didn’t solve my problem. Email me if you want tips and pictures. It requires a lot of fitting.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home