Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Dwell Angle anyone?

Points Based Ignition | Electronic Ignition Upgrade
DJM
honda305.com Member

Dwell Angle anyone?

Post by DJM » Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:27 am

Among the stuff in my cupboard which I never use (and never have) is a Dwell Angle meter.

I'm told by those who know about these things that setting points using a dwell meter is 'far more accurate' than using feeler gauges to check the points gap.

I'm happy to accept this and give it a try but does anyone know what the dwell angle should be for a CB77 /CL77 engine?

Anyone have any experience using a dwell angle meter on these bikes instead of just setting the points gap with feeler gauges?

brewsky
honda305.com Member

Re: Dwell Angle anyone?

Post by brewsky » Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:31 am

I used one years ago more to make sure the dwell was the same on both sets of points than setting the gap itself.

Trying to decide which display and setting to use was confusing since most meters gave 2 choices....8 cyl or 6 cyl. and I had either 1, 2 or 4 cyl bikes, and some were single fire points, some dual fire, and some two stroke.

So I set one set of points as close as possible to the gap spec, with a feeler gauge, then matched the other one with the dwell meter.
66 dream, 78 cb750k, 02fz1, 09 wing

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home