Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Superhawk muffler baffles

hefyjefy
honda305.com Member

Superhawk muffler baffles

Post by hefyjefy » Sat Nov 13, 2021 1:28 am

The Superhawk I inherited some years ago is missing the muffler baffles.
Apart from the noise, does this have any affect on the performance? I assume that the engine was was designed to run most efficiently with he baffles in place. The bike runs just fine, but it will not start on the electric starter when warm, - it starts fine cold with the choke out, but I always seem to have to resort to the kickstart when its warm.
Any thoughts are most welcome
Geoff

Tim Allman
honda305.com Member

Re: Superhawk muffler baffles

Post by Tim Allman » Sat Nov 13, 2021 11:30 am

I found that the engine runs lean without the baffles so I have always just left them in. New baffles (diffusers) are available from the usual places should you want to install them. Otherwise you will have to play around with the carburetor jetting.

First I would try installing a pair of #140 main jets. This is a small bump from the stock #135s and will have most effect when the throttles are more than about 1/2 open. If this doesn't fix the problem I would raise the needles one notch. I have attached a file and linked to another with information that may be helpful.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1nEnTN9 ... sp=sharing
CB77 Carburettor Settings.jpg

hefyjefy
honda305.com Member

Post by hefyjefy » Sun Nov 14, 2021 2:25 am

OK thanks! I would prefer to get the bike back to the original if possible so I may try and replace the baffles.
I am not really sure if the whole baffle was removed or just a part - need to investigate a bit more closely.
Geoff

Tim Allman
honda305.com Member

Post by Tim Allman » Fri Nov 19, 2021 10:06 am

They're actually quite short and there's no fastening point other than the short 6 mm screw at the end so most likely they are missing entirely.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home