Thank you G..

apolo1100
honda305.com Member

Post by apolo1100 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:31 pm

Thank you G..

DerekSuperhawk305
honda305.com Member

Post by DerekSuperhawk305 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:21 am

...why is it that the last half dozen "find" bikes I've seen always have their tank badges missing :)

DerekSuperhawk305
honda305.com Member

Post by DerekSuperhawk305 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:30 am

G-Man wrote:Great find!

The front fender seems to have been shortened a little but the bike looks in wonderful shape.

Just wipe it over, change the oil, clean the filter and you are away.

Very nice indeed.G
apolo1100 wrote:Here some pics..
Is that advisable to do after sitting for 44yrs. and where it sat ??
...unless it was started and ran occasionally, I would be hesitant to just try to fire it up.
Motor can have rust inside from condensation, valves could be stuck, cylinder walls can have surface rust, etc...
JMOA.

Dee.

G-Man
honda305.com Member

Post by G-Man » Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:17 pm

If any of those things has happened - it won't start or even turn over. If it turns over you won't do much harm by having a little fun with it and repairing it later. Change the oil, clean the filter and keep it in one piece as long as you can.

Most of my projects have arrived in a state where they are unable to run and require a total restoration. (I like it like that).

Most engines will run after a fashion but, as soon as you pull them apart, the money pit opens up.

I rebuild all of my engines from the crank up and by doing it myself I can save cost.

There are countless 'projects' that have been stripped for inspection and never make it back together. I used to worry about starting engines that had stood for years but if they can be made to run & don't rattle they're probably fine...... :-)

Of course - if it looks like this inside - better to fix it first.....

If you are going to take it apart - take it apart properly, repair/replace the worn out bits, clean out all the hidden sludge traps inside the crankshaft and make sure it's good for another 50 years....

And remember to put it back together....

Hopefully you'll get it finished without running out of cash..

Just my humble two cents.......

G
DerekSuperhawk305 wrote:
G-Man wrote:Great find!

The front fender seems to have been shortened a little but the bike looks in wonderful shape.

Just wipe it over, change the oil, clean the filter and you are away.

Very nice indeed.G
apolo1100 wrote:Here some pics..
Is that advisable to do after sitting for 44yrs. and where it sat ??
...unless it was started and ran occasionally, I would be hesitant to just try to fire it up.
Motor can have rust inside from condensation, valves could be stuck, cylinder walls can have surface rust, etc...
JMOA.

Dee.
'60 C77 '60 C72 '62 C72 Dream '63 CL72
'61 CB72 '64 CB77 '65 CB160
'66 Matchless 350 '67 CL77
'67 S90 '77 CB400F

DerekSuperhawk305
honda305.com Member

Post by DerekSuperhawk305 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:34 pm

WOW, you do very nice work indeed G. !

My only worry is that, yes, it starts and may run (...for a period of time) and then "KABANG".
This happened to a friend's bike he found (he did not look inside), it did run ok for a good while but eventually, yes, "KABANG" .
After sitting, you get spots, etching on cam lobes, etc.. and other moving parts...after running for engine awhile those spots will flake and make for a dirty bottom end and bearings, etc...don't like debris.
Maybe if he flushed it a few times after running it he could have gotten more time out of the engine but, your gambling IMO.

Dee

G-Man
honda305.com Member

Post by G-Man » Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:20 pm

He was unlucky - but at least he got to play a little and those parts needed fixing anyway.

"What man has made, man can make again"........

Oil filters are designed to remove debris...... :-)

I'll have to look in my Mechanical Engineers dictionary for a full technical description of Kabang..... I've also known fully rebuilt engines destroy themselves when they weren't put back together properly. Double-unlucky.

G

DerekSuperhawk305 wrote:.
WOW, you do very nice work indeed G. !

My only worry is that, yes, it starts and may run (...for a period of time) and then "KABANG".
This happened to a friend's bike he found (he did not look inside), it did run ok for a good while but eventually, yes, "KABANG" .
After sitting, you get spots, etching on cam lobes, etc.. and other moving parts...after running for engine awhile those spots will flake and make for a dirty bottom end and bearings, etc...don't like debris.
Maybe if he flushed it a few times after running it he could have gotten more time out of the engine but, your gambling IMO.

Dee
'60 C77 '60 C72 '62 C72 Dream '63 CL72
'61 CB72 '64 CB77 '65 CB160
'66 Matchless 350 '67 CL77
'67 S90 '77 CB400F

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home