□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

looking for a bike, needle in a haystack

teazer
honda305.com Member

Post by teazer » Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:00 pm

I don't have Ed's detail knowledge of these bikes, but teh giveaways to me were seat and fork sliders. Steel legs and no lip at the front of the seat = 65 or earlier. The swingarm also looks older with the rear lugs.

rear axle is hollow at the side which also dates it - I'm just not sure what it dates it as.

It would have been useful if someone had real records or photos of the numbers, but the bike has been lost for decades. i would treat it as a lost cause. certainly unlikely that someone here would happen to recognize the old pictures but I guess anything is possible.

His best bet is to either forget this one and create a replica or to make friends with someone in the DMV/BMV or local police force and see what they can dig up. or go back to teh old hood and ask anyone and everyone what they know. Personally, I think it's time to move on.

Durangoman
honda305.com Member

Post by Durangoman » Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:20 pm

Gun wrote:ed, what parts of the bike are giving that away?
I am wondering the same thing.

teazer
honda305.com Member

Post by teazer » Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:33 pm

teazer wrote:........ the giveaways to me were seat and fork sliders. Steel legs and no lip at the front of the seat = 65 or earlier. The swingarm also looks older with the rear lugs.

Rear axle is hollow at the side which also dates it

Bottom line is that bike is NOT 67.

Durangoman
honda305.com Member

Post by Durangoman » Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:33 pm

teazer wrote: I don't have Ed's detail knowledge of these bikes, but teh giveaways to me were seat and fork sliders. Steel legs and no lip at the front of the seat = 65 or earlier. The swingarm also looks older with the rear lugs.

rear axle is hollow at the side which also dates it - I'm just not sure what it dates it as.
The kick starter is different than other Superhawks I have seen.
teazer wrote: It would have been useful if someone had real records or photos of the numbers, but the bike has been lost for decades.
Wish I had taken more photos myself. I was able to get the numbers off an old police accident report when I was rear-ended at a stop back in 1979.
teazer wrote:i would treat it as a lost cause. certainly unlikely that someone here would happen to recognize the old pictures but I guess anything is possible.
Never know when or where lightning will strike.
teazer wrote:His best bet is to either forget this one and create a replica or to make friends with someone in the DMV/BMV or local police force and see what they can dig up. or go back to teh old hood and ask anyone and everyone what they know. Personally, I think it's time to move on.
I had the NM DMV run a search of the numbers and plate, nothing popped up. Did go back to the 'hood and talked to the guy that bought my parents house (he still lives in the house), he never saw the bike and said it wasnt left. After 30 years some of the neighbors were still there, talked to them too, again nothing. I may not find my old bike, but I'd never know unless I'd try. If I can find it I would restore it and ride it, it would make a for a great story! I might someday pick up another CB77, but I will always keep an eye out for my old one.
Last edited by Durangoman on Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

teazer
honda305.com Member

Post by teazer » Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:38 pm

The kickstarter and presumably the right side cover are off a CL or CA model and kick to the rear versus a CB which kicks forward to avoid the semi rearset pegs.

Durangoman
honda305.com Member

Post by Durangoman » Sun Nov 06, 2011 12:28 pm

Bumpin cuz I'm still lookin'

Jethro
honda305.com Member

Post by Jethro » Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:00 pm

At any given time there is at least one, usually more CB77's being parted out on e-bay so that's one thing to keep in mind. Also, it might be worth it to investigate some of the motorcycle salvage outfits in the area where you think it might have ended up.

J

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home