Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

getting my bike started

jlerma
honda305.com Member

getting my bike started

Post by jlerma » Sun Feb 13, 2005 10:40 pm

today was a nice day... one of the first this winter. I dont have time to work on my bike during the week and its been so cold on the weekends (i dont have a garage, so its just parked out back in the yard.) So anyway.. i finally go to the point where i can try to get the bike started. guess what? It doesn't. I have a pretty limited knowledge of getting a old beat up bike to start. So i was using this website as a rough guide. http://www.dansmc.com/troubleshooting2.htm<br /><br />Anyway, i have spark.. i got the starter turning over the engine. ive put in a bit of gas in the carbs. But haven't heard anything that sounds like the engine wants to start.<br /><br />I dont have a compression tester....<br /><br />any ideas of what else i can do? what should i look for? What size of bullet or type of gun will penetrate the engine ? <br /><br />

kustommusic
honda305.com Member

Re: getting my bike started

Post by kustommusic » Mon Feb 14, 2005 9:33 pm

I'm thinking 30-06 should do. But if that don't work you could always try a little bit of gas squirted into each carb. and see if it fires up on that. If it does,than you can conclude its not getting gas. It can be a plugged petcock,collapsed fuel line,stuck (closed) float valve, or water in the fuel. Have you pulled the plugs after trying to start it and looked at them? Are they wet? If so than it's lack of ignition or timing. Hows that for a starting point? let us know whicha found! Steve Greer

jlerma
honda305.com Member

Post by jlerma » Mon Feb 21, 2005 6:03 pm

yeah i tried putting gas in the carb.. didn't do anything. i didn't check for the wetness of the plugs yet. I just got back from a week long vacation in SF and the weather is nice and sunny here in austin. So i will try to start it again tonight. One other thing.... is there something in the wiring that i could have connected wrong. especially the ignition. There are three settings on there (left- top -right). Which one is it supposed to be at... and guess what? im not telling you which one ive been trying to turn the bike over with!! That way i wont be embarrassed about it heheh....

kustommusic
honda305.com Member

Post by kustommusic » Tue Feb 22, 2005 10:13 pm

You want that key in the middle position, if want ignition. All the way to the right gives you a tail-light only, for parking in hazordus(sp?) places I guess. If you would have the wiring wrong that sure would cause problems too,are you referencing a shop manual? You really need to pull a plug to check compression too. You dont need a guage for a quick check,just a thumb over the hole. Good comp. should blow your thumb off the opening. Well not like that! The compression will LIFT it off. You know what I mean anyway. Steve Greer

jlerma
honda305.com Member

Post by jlerma » Tue Feb 22, 2005 11:59 pm

well maybe its compression then. I can put my thumb over it and all it does is make a farty noise. Well my finger is shapped in a way so that i can't cover it completely.. like my fingernail is in the way.. damn.. if its not one thing its another!!

kustommusic
honda305.com Member

Post by kustommusic » Wed Feb 23, 2005 7:30 pm

You might try putting oil in the cylinder it should improve the compression. If it does then your problem is not there. if it doesn't it could be a stuck valve (from sitting around with that valve open) Usually if it hasen't been too long it will shake loose. But it saying all that,it seems to me the other cyl. should make some noise. Didja have the key in the right position? Steve Greer

jlerma
honda305.com Member

Post by jlerma » Thu Feb 24, 2005 10:02 am

yeah the key was in the right position.. thank god. i would have punched myself if i had it in the wrong position.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home