Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Order of Restoration

Won-tolla
honda305.com Member

Order of Restoration

Post by Won-tolla » Mon Mar 07, 2005 1:18 pm

I am planning on restoring a '65 (I think) CB77. What order do you people recommend I take in restoRing it part by part? Have to do it this way do to lack of space. Only have an outdoor deck with an overhang. Would like to repaint everything eventally also. First time restoing anthing not made of wood and a beginner mechanic wise. Any suggestions? Thanks<br />VIN FYI:<br />Frame: CB77-1040876<br />Engine: CB77E-1040896

perryT200
honda305.com Member

Re: Order of Restoration

Post by perryT200 » Mon Mar 07, 2005 10:21 pm

are you going to redo the motor?

Won-tolla
honda305.com Member

Post by Won-tolla » Wed Mar 09, 2005 9:50 am

I would like to, but i cannot find anyone around here that will touch anything older than 10 years. Also the only space I have right now is a covered back porch. I don't like the idea of leaving a broken down engine exposed that way. Otherwise I would do a completee teardwon and get the frame repainted.

perryT200
honda305.com Member

Post by perryT200 » Wed Mar 09, 2005 3:15 pm

if it doesn't run, get it running. there is a checklist around here somewhere on troubleshooting one to get it running.<br /><br />then post some pictures for an idea what you actually have.

mchitiea
honda305.com Member

Post by mchitiea » Fri Mar 11, 2005 2:39 pm

Generally speaking, order of restoration:<br />1. Frame<br />2. Wheels &amp; hubs,<br />3. Engine/trans<br />4. Electrical harnesses<br />5. Brightwork/rubber<br /><br />WHY:<br />Numbers 1 &amp; 2; you need this done to assemble all other pieces to it/them.<br />#3; once the eng is done, it gets bolted into the frame, all other pieces the plug into it (wire harnesses, etc)<br />#4; because this is next...<br />#5; This is #5 only because most brightwork (chrome, plated pieces, bodywork, etc.) get bolted onto the frame last. BUT....what usually happens is that these parts get sent out for plating, polishing, or.....WHILE you are doing the other operations. There may be some nuts/bolts/panels, etc. that are needed to finish the engine assembly, so choose what needs to be done - to go with what part/componant or complete assembly. <br /><br />Painting: Frame; POWDERCOAT the frame. It will then never scratch, chip, fade, etc. Painted bodywork; Paint with enamel. Lay it on in MANY thin layers. Sit out in the sun (on your roof) for a month or so. Let it cure HARD. THEN...colorsand 90% of the paint down. The perfect paint jobs end with 1,000 grit wet/dry sanding paper. Then clearcoat it. NUTS/BOLTS; Cadium plating works well.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home