Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

CB77 throttle position

CBasket
honda305.com Member

CB77 throttle position

Post by CBasket » Tue Oct 07, 2003 8:59 am

I just replaced the throttle cable on my superhawk, and am not sure if the throttle valve position is correct. When the throttle grip is completely closed, the throttle valves are about 2/3rds the way down when looking into the carb from the air filter inlet. <br /><br />Is this correct? Or should the throttle valve be completely all the way down in the carb chamber when the grip is closed all the way? Thanks.<br /><br />In a related question - the throttle valves stick like crazy. Any ideas for remedying this problem? <br />

georGe
honda305.com Member

Re: CB77 throttle position

Post by georGe » Tue Oct 07, 2003 9:16 pm

1- Are the slides placed properly in the bores ? i.e.-the slot that runs the length of the slide should be positiond so it runs on the guide that is inside of the bore.<br />2- Are the slide stop screws backed out so as to allow the slide to seat @ the bottom ? Yes the slide should be at the bottom of the housing,but remember the slide is cut on a angle.<br />3- Are the barrel adjusters on the tops of the carbs screwed all the way down ?<br />4-Did you put the throttle grip back in the right position when you changed the cable,also there is a set screw and lock on the bottom right grip assembly is it positioned properly ?<br />5-As for the slides sticking that could be caused by : 1) the slides being in backwards, 2)dirty bores and/or slides, 3) the carb. body being bolted down to tight to the cylinder causing distortion.<br /><br />Hope this helps!!<br /> georGe <br />

CBasket
honda305.com Member

Post by CBasket » Wed Oct 08, 2003 8:10 am

Thanks, George! I adjusted the throttle cable at the grip and was able to get the slides almost all the way down in the carb housing. Now, it looks like I just need to screw the barrel adjusters all the way down and I should be set. <br /><br />The sticking problem remains, though. Could you suggest a method for cleaning the slides/housing? What product would you recommend and how should I apply it? I am afraid of scratching the slides or housing and causing more problems. <br /><br />Thanks again.

georGe
honda305.com Member

Post by georGe » Wed Oct 08, 2003 10:02 pm

This is the tricky part !!<br />It really depends on how sticky they are in the bores.I normally wipe some Dykem in the bore and on the slide so I can see exactly where the high spots are. After I find where the bad spots are I like to use a ultra fine emory(sp?) clothe(I dont remember the exact grit but it is FINE almost like tissue paper) and start wiping then cleaning then fitting until I feel comfortable.<br /><br />I can not stress enough about being careful and going slow so as not to move to much material !!!!!!!<br /><br />Good Luck,<br /> georGe

stoic
h305 Moderator

Post by stoic » Wed Oct 08, 2003 10:41 pm

Sticking slides are sometimes caused by a deformed carb body, as a result of overtightened mounting bolts.<br /><br />I'd loosen the bolts and check the slide operation. I would not sand nor lubricate the slides.<br /><br />honda305 Repair Log has a record of the &quot;sticking slides&quot; problem and how it was solved...

georGe
honda305.com Member

Post by georGe » Thu Oct 09, 2003 8:28 pm

I am glad to see Im not the only person that has overtightend the flange nuts causing the slides to stick(lol) !! They were not even that tight and it still bound up.<br /><br />The clothe I was refering to isnt actually sandpaper it is a polishing paper we use for cleaning journals and the like. I had to use it on my carbs because of the scale build up.<br /><br />georGe

CBasket
honda305.com Member

Post by CBasket » Thu Oct 09, 2003 11:04 pm

George and Stoic - thanks for all the great info. I read the repair logs, and you're right, there is a lot of good stuff in there!<br /><br />I solved the problem by further adjusting the throttle cable and now the bike runs great! Idle is perfect (or at least can be properly adjusted by the idle screws) and the bike fires up right away, even in the cold.<br /><br />Thanks!!

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home