Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

CB77 Running OKO CVK Carbs and Elektronik-Sachse Ignition

MBellRacing
honda305.com Member

CB77 Running OKO CVK Carbs and Elektronik-Sachse Ignition

Post by MBellRacing » Sat Sep 03, 2016 8:52 pm

...aaaaand it's awesome. All of it. The OKO's took some fiddling to get right on this bike, but they're for 150cc scooters, so they weren't too far off. I made some laser-cut adapter flanges and some bore size adapters (because, apparently, 26mm doesn't always mean 26mm) to get them mounted correctly.

The Elektronic-Sachse ignition went on without a hitch, but they are a bit clunky as far as adjustment. Once dialed in, they are perfect as far as ignition versus max-revs timing. The rev limiter is a nice touch, as well.

All in all, my bike hasn't run in 3 years since I failed at an attempt to install an EFI system. It wasn't a great ECU or component set, and I gave up trying to make it right. I got really tired of seeing my restored Superhawk sit there and collect dust and decided to go down the CV carb route. I HIGHLY recommend it. I still have the CAD files for the adapter flanges, if anyone is interested.

A lot left to be done to the bike, including relocating the petcock since the "autochoke" heater is in the way of the stock one. Some AN fittings and a custom brass adapter will do the job well.

Check out the two videos below. First one was keeping it below 9000rpm on the first stage limiter, the second video was me getting tired of waiting, and getting it pissed off at 10,000rpm. You'll notice two things about the CVK's: the remarkable response and the popping on liftoff. I don't, at all, mind either!

Enjoy:

https://youtu.be/wZcL0FdUAjI

https://youtu.be/7MnpP--NBEQ

honda brian
honda305.com Member

Post by honda brian » Sun Sep 04, 2016 3:33 am

Awesome job Matt. Well done!
Brian.

honda brian
honda305.com Member

Post by honda brian » Sun Sep 04, 2016 3:33 am

Awesome job Matt. Well done!
Brian.

MBellRacing
honda305.com Member

Post by MBellRacing » Mon Sep 05, 2016 1:21 am

Thanks! Update video:

https://youtu.be/q6AvnFyb6Iw

Got the brake light working, fixed a few other wiring issues. I wanted to test, as best I could, how long the autochoke heaters take to completely shut off the extra fuel. Looks like about 3 minutes, which is what the GY6 scooter these carbs were designed for claimed. I ordered a set of upsized main jets, a replacement clutch lever, and a Charlie's Place rectifier. Here's hoping it all works!

MBellRacing
honda305.com Member

Post by MBellRacing » Sun Sep 11, 2016 1:00 am

Quick update:

Haven't had a lot of time to work on the bike, recently. I did turn a small brass fitting to relocate my petcock behind the carbs. I feel it may be a hair too low and I'll probably need to figure a better solution later. Maybe another banjo fitting?

Also got my laser-cut AFR gauge mount done by a friend of mine. Seems like it will work well to cheat on the tuning!

Muddy
honda305.com Member

Post by Muddy » Sun Sep 11, 2016 1:07 am

Awesome job! I'm very envious.

Regards

Muddy
Thanks.

Regards

Muddy

'64 C72
'63 C72

MBellRacing
honda305.com Member

Post by MBellRacing » Mon Sep 12, 2016 2:18 am

Well, more small progress, but no photos right now. I now have a functioning clutch and front brake! AMAZING, RIGHT?! The clutch has been broken for about 5 years, so getting the cable routed, lubed, and working, is a huge accomplishment for me. Unfortunately, I think something bad has happened with the electrical system again and my battery won't allow enough current to turn the motor over. It is a Battery Tender lithium thing, and I'm sure the circuitry was roasted when either the rectifier took a sh*t or the charger over-charged the system. No fuses blows, but it certainly is not running!

I'm also having an issue with the kickstarter, and I need to sort it out. I read through LM's instructions and will try it out, but I've had no luck yet. Getting tired of pulling that stator side case off...

Oh well, I'll try again tomorrow, if I can. If only the mechanical and electric parts of this build would cooperate, I'd be riding right now!

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home