□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

CB77 Running OKO CVK Carbs and Elektronik-Sachse Ignition

bikedoctor99
honda305.com Member

Post by bikedoctor99 » Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:08 pm

Hello Matt, looks like a very tidy install for your carbs.

I have a feeling that your battery charger has cooked the battery, read the instructions carefully.

I bought the same battery (240AH) as a spare for my 160 race bike and seem to remember that the lithium charger is the only one that should be used.
The big amp chargers create too much heat.

Another must do is get a voltage regulator for the lithium battery.
With the simple alternator on our Hondas the charging voltage can spike at higher
revs and that is bad news for your battery.

Good luck with the repairs and get riding!

Allan

MBellRacing
honda305.com Member

Post by MBellRacing » Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:46 pm

Okay, 2 steps forward, one big step backward. The good news: I rode the bike for the first time in 5 years today, albeit slowly in a parking lot while it coughed and choked its way around for 5 minutes. The bad news: I can't start it reliably. 2 means of doing it, neither work!!!

The electric starter clutch seems to have finally given up the ghost and I'll have to pull the rotor off to fix it. On that note, can anyone give me a good set of instructions to fix it? The search didn't do me any good in finding a how-to.

I tried following the forum's guides on lining everything up for the kickstarter, but to no avail. Basically, I cannot fully remove my right side cover without removing a portion of my electronic ignition, and I'm not into that right now. However, I installed the kick lever with the punch marks lined up. The punches are lined up on the gears inside the cover, and the "O's" line up with the lever at about the 2 o'clock position, which checks out to what I've seen. The spring is loose and seems to be applying pressure the wrong way (?). It pulls the lever clockwise on the bike, which would never return it. With the starter shaft stopped fully clockwise, it does not move anything. It is just rock solid. It moves about 90 degrees counterclockwise and gets equally stuck. There is nothing but flop in the middle. Is this right? If I put the bike in gear, the shaft is locked completely in place, no flop. Tell me what I'm doing wrong, because it is making me crazy!

The other issue is that I decided to start the bike using the crank bolt. This was a poor decision because I ended up loosening it and the e-ignition is now off. This makes sense since it was running very poorly in the parking lot. I think the fuel I used is not so bueno, either. I'm going to get myself some nice 91 when I'm back from a "business trip" and re-time the ignition once I rebuild the starter clutch. Again, any advice is HIGHLY appreciated!

A couple photos below.

MBellRacing
honda305.com Member

Post by MBellRacing » Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:21 pm

Not to keep replying on my own post, but I FINALLY got this thing going pretty darn well for the first time in over 8 years! I took it out of storage and spent the last week or so running to ground most of the little issues I've been having.

First off, those OKO CVK carbs are definitely not good for pure top-end power, but they make riding around town REALLY nice and respond VERY quickly. It makes the little 305 feel like a bigger bike. She just gets a little winded up top. That said, I've got the main jet and needle position pretty well sorted to get 13.5:1 AFR from 6000-9000rpm at WOT. It certainly isn't mixture holding the bike back! I still need to source a smaller slow jet, as this one is just a hair on the rich side and I'm on the smallest one from the usual kit designed for the Honda Ruckus. These carbs also seem to not pull enough fuel during overrun and lean pop like MAD. Like, lookup mid-2000's WRC rally cars. My bike has antilag.

Overall, and so far, the last couple days riding the thing around have been amazing. This little bike has its quirks, but they are not only just part of the joy of an old Honda, but also sometimes easily remedied. If anyone wants to know how I did this swap, PM me and I'll fill them in. There were a couple custom parts, but surprisingly, most items were off the shelf!

Video showing the response and sound of these carbs on the bike revving below. I'm planning a big ride with a friend tomorrow and should be able to get some better footage, then!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGLsvR3M0g4

OldScrambler
honda305.com Member

Post by OldScrambler » Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:51 am

The LIPo battery must be properly regulated...........think of an inverter & charger rather than existing components. High RPMs will fry a lot of old electrical parts......especially if the connections are suspect.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home