□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

CB77 Race Bike

G-Man
honda305.com Member

Post by G-Man » Sun Nov 20, 2016 3:32 am

I modified a clutch basket for my CYB Race-kit project. Haven't got around to the tensioner yet. If you don't want to make your own then the Cappelini one should do the trick.

http://www.honda305.com/forums/duplex-p ... 35358.html

G
'60 C77 '60 C72 '62 C72 Dream '63 CL72
'61 CB72 '64 CB77 '65 CB160
'66 Matchless 350 '67 CL77
'67 S90 '77 CB400F

RCP_Espresso
honda305.com Member

Post by RCP_Espresso » Sun Nov 20, 2016 9:50 am

G-Man wrote:I modified a clutch basket for my CYB Race-kit project. Haven't got around to the tensioner yet. If you don't want to make your own then the Cappelini one should do the trick.

G
Thanks, I stumbled across your DIY while looking into the duplex conversion. Ellis Moore sent me some notes on install. I'm curious if you had to remove the 1.8mm from the clutch center in order to reveal the circlip groove?

Also, I resized some of my pictures and uploaded them as attachments to my previous post. I think in the future what I need to do is just upload them to the image hosting site as small size photos because not all the forums I now use have auto-image-resize on linked images.

G-Man
honda305.com Member

Post by G-Man » Sun Nov 20, 2016 11:27 am

Yes the 1.5 mm must be removed. Forgot about that.

Whe I got mine the plate I removed frtom the existing clutch wheel was too large for the recess in the new chain wheel. I think he has fixed that now.

G
RCP_Espresso wrote:
G-Man wrote:I modified a clutch basket for my CYB Race-kit project. Haven't got around to the tensioner yet. If you don't want to make your own then the Cappelini one should do the trick.

G
Thanks, I stumbled across your DIY while looking into the duplex conversion. Ellis Moore sent me some notes on install. I'm curious if you had to remove the 1.8mm from the clutch center in order to reveal the circlip groove?

Also, I resized some of my pictures and uploaded them as attachments to my previous post. I think in the future what I need to do is just upload them to the image hosting site as small size photos because not all the forums I now use have auto-image-resize on linked images.
'67 S90 '77 CB400F

RCP_Espresso
honda305.com Member

Post by RCP_Espresso » Sun Dec 04, 2016 3:12 pm

Some more progress today.

I got the starter shimmed out so that the chain has a reasonable amount of slack, I loctite-ed and installed the bolt on the sprocket retainer, and I got the rotor (with new clutch hardware) installed on the crank with the woodruff key. It was a little challenging to get it on even knowing the trick, but it only took a few tries and then a few taps with a rubber mallet.

Some of the resin/glue on the coils of the stator is cracked, and it allows the coils to slightly wiggle. Should I use some sort of glue to secure the coils? you can see the cracks in two of them in the picture.

I also got a battery and had to slightly adjust the coil location on the right side to factor in the height of the battery. Only a little wiring left and then a bit more cable management.

Next step will be to drain the oil and pull the oil pump for inspection and upgrade. I have a cappelini 6mm oil pump gear set coming sometime this week.

Sometime in january I should have the duplex primary chain setup coming from england and I'll be able to get working on the left side of the bike.
For purposes of completeness and documentation, I'm going to get the bike titled. I have enough random lights and horns that I shouldn't have a problem getting it to pass an inspection... doesn't have to be too pretty as it will be coming off right after I get the title. I'm looking at getting with MCRA to get my racing license and start doing track days hopefully by late spring. Luckily there's a few tracks around Indianapolis as well as the corvette track in Bowling Green, KY that I can easily get to... now to get a trailer hitch and a motorcycle trailer.
Attachments
starter chain and stator.jpg
starter chain and stator.jpg (92.12 KiB) Viewed 4669 times
stator.jpg
stator.jpg (67.63 KiB) Viewed 4669 times
battery.jpg
battery.jpg (148.89 KiB) Viewed 4669 times

RCP_Espresso
honda305.com Member

Post by RCP_Espresso » Sun Dec 11, 2016 3:19 pm

So I got started on the oil pump today.
Drained the oil and pulled the pump and found this guy hanging out next to the screen:

Seems to be two bits of a chewed up washer. I'm going to get an extendable magnet and fish around up in the sump for anything else. I'm not alarmed yet, but if I find more I might be.

I shot an email to cappelini/valtermoto asking about these two items.

The first is a washer. There are two of these. One of them (like I found on the original pump) was placed between the large gear and the housing. I'm not sure where this guy goes. There's a smaller washer that is for the other side of the housing where the shaft retaining bolt goes.

The second unknown right now is this large hex bolt. It fits into threads in the new housing, but doesn't pass through into the old housing. There is an additional allen bolt that does pass through to the old housing. My guess might be that this bolt is meant to sit up against the filter screen housing, but I'm stopping work until I can find the right answer.

I also got the first carb assembled and tore down the second carb for a berrys dip bath. The current jetting in it (from presumably the last time it was run) is a 38 low 145 high.

RCP_Espresso
honda305.com Member

Post by RCP_Espresso » Wed Dec 14, 2016 4:05 pm

I think I figured it out where that second washer goes...

I had sent an email to Cappellini in italy and he got back to with this:

That didn't make sense to me at all upon reading it... I then sat down and drew out how I thought it should work/look:

this made sense as far as how the pump should function.

I assembled the pump according to my drawing and noticed something:

theres a tiny amount of in/out play in the drive shaft. The 3mm allen and its washer sit against the butt of the shaft and spin with it... my drawing doesn't account for this play...

now when I tighten down the allen bolt and its washer, they spin with the axle and the axle play is 95% eliminated with the addition of the second washer.

and its successfully been assembled (as far as I can tell). I do need to loc-tite the driveshaft bolt, but other than that I'm done. Just need to clean the mating surfaces and smooth out the rough edges on the inside of the screen assembly and it will be ready for re-installation.

After assembling the pump this way, and going back to see what cappellini wrote back to me, their answer makes a lot more sense.

Also, the large bolt that only fits into the center of the new housing is meant to separate the housings for service by forcing them apart. This is actually written in the description on the valtermoto ebay listing.

Does anyone see if I obviously screwed anything up?

G-Man
honda305.com Member

Post by G-Man » Wed Dec 14, 2016 4:47 pm

Providing the existing pump housing is not scored around the periphery or the face and you have new gears you should be fine.

I was going to mention the hex bolt for parting the cases but you got there......

G
'67 S90 '77 CB400F

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home