□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

CB77 Race Bike

RCP_Espresso
honda305.com Member

Post by RCP_Espresso » Wed Dec 14, 2016 4:53 pm

G-Man wrote:Providing the existing pump housing is not scored around the periphery or the face and you have new gears you should be fine.

I was going to mention the hex bolt for parting the cases but you got there......

G
the new housing can accommodate gears up to 9mm wide. because I have the 6mm gears, there's a 3mm spacer that sits between the gears and the old housing. this provides a new smooth mating surface for the gears to sit against.

RCP_Espresso
honda305.com Member

Post by RCP_Espresso » Sun Jan 01, 2017 3:12 pm

I pulled the forks today, the fork oil was brand new. Regardless, I rinsed the forks out with mineral spirits:

The fork tubes look serviceable to me... the chrome is perfect over the entire section of travel.
Extended:

Compressed:

The upper parts of the tubes have some contact rust from the spring, but I should be able to clean that up well enough. The springs will be cleaned up as well as there's only minor rust spots on them.

Does anyone know of any upgrades I can do while I'm in here? The seals were good so I haven't separated the forks yet and I may not worry about it until they start leaking. There's not much from what I've seen in the way of cartridge emulators or progressive springs for this setup.

Front disk looked good, although there was a sticky substance on one pad and liner:

Sticky:

not sticky:

Anyone have any recommendations for GT750 drum pads?

RCP_Espresso
honda305.com Member

Post by RCP_Espresso » Mon Jan 02, 2017 12:17 pm

Did a 2000 grit vinegar wetsand on the un-chromed fork tubes to remove the surface rust/discoloration. Re-assembled everything and now just need to add oil.

I also pulled the front sprocket and found this interesting seal retainer. This guy went HAM with the RTV. Also, what's the best way to remove/replace the clutch seal that has the clutch rod going through it? I have a new seal to go with the cappelini oil seal retainer that I want to install.

jleewebb
honda305.com Member

clutch rod seal

Post by jleewebb » Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:21 am

My adventure with clutch rod seal, cappellini seal holder:

http://www.honda305.com/forums/clutch-r ... 36081.html

Answer to how to pop seal out is in there somewhere toward the end. Hopefully you have the "improved" seal holder.
'62 CB77. "It's a rider."

RCP_Espresso
honda305.com Member

Post by RCP_Espresso » Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:08 pm

thanks for the tip.

I just checked the retainer and it's the style with the countersink.[/quote]

RCP_Espresso
honda305.com Member

Post by RCP_Espresso » Thu Feb 09, 2017 5:52 pm

Progress thus far:

I re-assembled the front end. I got some Ferrodo shoes from vintage brake and Avon tires. I also put in an All-Balls wheel bearing set. I'm having motion-pro make some custom length (3') brake cables.

Replaced the shifter seal and installed the cappellini retainer.

And began working on the rear end...

Hagon shocks:

And a braced swingarm. It's tacked together in this image so that I could check that there's no interference with the chain. I'll finish the welding tomorrow and get it painted.

The only thing I'm really left waiting for is the dual primary chain conversion. There was a 12 week lead time when I ordered on 20 November, so hopefully it ships soon.

RCP_Espresso
honda305.com Member

Post by RCP_Espresso » Sat Feb 11, 2017 1:21 pm

Unauthorized for GP class racing braced-swingarm painted. This year is going to be pretty much all casual track days so I can get a feel for things. 2018 is when I'll look at participating in races.

Rear mostly assembled:

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home