Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

CB77 Race Bike

RCP_Espresso
honda305.com Member

CB77 Race Bike

Post by RCP_Espresso » Sun Nov 13, 2016 5:53 pm

Hi everyone,

I recently purchased this CB77 to serve as a winter project (I'm fairly certain some of you have seen this listing across the internet).

I've been riding for about 10 years, started with a CX500 (before they were cool) and currently own a '75 Kawa Z1 and a 79 Suzuki GS750E.

I took a few minutes to open up the documentation... holy crap, I'm pretty impressed. Here's the link to the imgur gallery, and below are some of the highlights.

http://imgur.com/a/c8ceW

It seems like this has more or less the whole catalog of honda race parts...
documentation indicates it has the 5 speed trans which is a nice surprise too.
Additionally its using honda 350 pistons.

There's mention of ceriani forks, but I'm pretty sure those were taken off years ago because the forks on it right now look like typical CB77 type II forks.

Right now the bike is running a total loss system and is bump start only... this isn't exactly practical for me at this point in time so that's going to be the first thing to address. So off the top of my head, here are my priorities of work:

1. Get motor running
1a. new wiring harness
1b. electronic ignition, coils, R+R (charlies)
1c. add alternator, starter clutch, starter, starter chain
1d. add switches/controls
1e. battery
1f. drain oil, check oil sediment trap/primary chain/valve clearances/cam chain tensioner
1g. clean carburetors
1h. new throttle cables
1i. add fuel filters/new fuel lines
1j. attempt to start.

After all that happens I'll begin to look at the suspension/tires/misc other items.
Teazer gave me a heads up about the current clutch setup and a recommendation on how to improve it, so I'll likely go with his guidance.

I already have the Bill Silver CB77 guides as well as the shop manual CD and I've just ordered a clymer manual as well.

if anyone knows a Roy Seem it seems he was a big figure in this bikes past.

EDIT: I'll re-link the photos once I get them to resize
Last edited by RCP_Espresso on Sun Nov 13, 2016 6:48 pm, edited 6 times in total.

RCP_Espresso
honda305.com Member

Post by RCP_Espresso » Sun Nov 13, 2016 5:58 pm

so I'm not sure if the pictures are showing up oversized for anyone else... normally they auto-format

jas67
honda305.com Member

Post by jas67 » Mon Nov 14, 2016 5:30 pm

Cool project!

I'd love to know more about the 5 speed transmission. I didn't know anyone made a 5 speed transmission for the CB77?

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Re: CB77 Race Bike

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Mon Nov 14, 2016 6:40 pm

From this message may I asume you plan to make this a street bike!. ............lm

RCP_Espresso wrote:Hi everyone,

I recently purchased this CB77 to serve as a winter project (I'm fairly certain some of you have seen this listing across the internet).

I've been riding for about 10 years, started with a CX500 (before they were cool) and currently own a '75 Kawa Z1 and a 79 Suzuki GS750E.

I took a few minutes to open up the documentation... holy crap, I'm pretty impressed. Here's the link to the imgur gallery, and below are some of the highlights.

http://imgur.com/a/c8ceW

It seems like this has more or less the whole catalog of honda race parts...
documentation indicates it has the 5 speed trans which is a nice surprise too.
Additionally its using honda 350 pistons.

There's mention of ceriani forks, but I'm pretty sure those were taken off years ago because the forks on it right now look like typical CB77 type II forks.

Right now the bike is running a total loss system and is bump start only... this isn't exactly practical for me at this point in time so that's going to be the first thing to address. So off the top of my head, here are my priorities of work:

1. Get motor running
1a. new wiring harness
1b. electronic ignition, coils, R+R (charlies)
1c. add alternator, starter clutch, starter, starter chain
1d. add switches/controls
1e. battery
1f. drain oil, check oil sediment trap/primary chain/valve clearances/cam chain tensioner
1g. clean carburetors
1h. new throttle cables
1i. add fuel filters/new fuel lines
1j. attempt to start.

After all that happens I'll begin to look at the suspension/tires/misc other items.
Teazer gave me a heads up about the current clutch setup and a recommendation on how to improve it, so I'll likely go with his guidance.

I already have the Bill Silver CB77 guides as well as the shop manual CD and I've just ordered a clymer manual as well.

if anyone knows a Roy Seem it seems he was a big figure in this bikes past.

EDIT: I'll re-link the photos once I get them to resize

RCP_Espresso
honda305.com Member

Post by RCP_Espresso » Mon Nov 14, 2016 7:24 pm

LM, I plan on making it pull double duty, street and track. I am a novice on the track so the added weight of the starter/stator is not going to be the limiting factor on my lap times right now. That said, waking the bike up for the first time will be considerably easier with an electric start. Eventually I'll go back to bump only.

By the way, what's the best place to get throttle/tach/brake cables from? Everywhere I look they're at least $20 each. Is that what they go for these days?

Also, anyone have a starter chain?

61HONDADREAMCA77
honda305.com Member

Post by 61HONDADREAMCA77 » Mon Nov 14, 2016 7:26 pm

Looks very close to your CB77!!!
Attachments
honda cyb77.png
honda cyb77.png (286.12 KiB) Viewed 6908 times

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Mon Nov 14, 2016 7:42 pm

Well I'd say you will wear out a nicely made racer.
That engine if a true racer isn't going to last long on the street.
Last I knew starters are not allowed .
If that price for cables seems high you may be out of touch with the cost of any part.
There are many stock CB77 bikes out there and few true racers.
What you suggest is a waste in my opinion. ..............lm
RCP_Espresso wrote:LM, I plan on making it pull double duty, street and track. I am a novice on the track so the added weight of the starter/stator is not going to be the limiting factor on my lap times right now. That said, waking the bike up for the first time will be considerably easier with an electric start. Eventually I'll go back to bump only.

By the way, what's the best place to get throttle/tach/brake cables from? Everywhere I look they're at least $20 each. Is that what they go for these days?

Also, anyone have a starter chain?

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home