Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Superhawk Kick Starter Not Turning Engine

bjshealy
honda305.com Member

Superhawk Kick Starter Not Turning Engine

Post by bjshealy » Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:58 am

Help.
Had to remove CB77 right side cover to correct clutch cable issue. Cleaned and lubed gears, shaft and ball bearing. Reinstalled side cover, adjusted clutch cable but now kick starter will not engage even after preloading return spring tension.
Electric starter works fine but kick starter appears to get stuck and will not turn engine over as it did before side cover removal.
Any suggestions?
Thank you.

DJM
honda305.com Member

Kick start problems.

Post by DJM » Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:21 am

I think you probably turned the actual kickstart shaft (or allowed it to turn) while you had the side cover off.

When you put the cover back on the kickstart arm was thn in the wrong position relative to the internal bits.

Take the cover off again, turn the shaft clockwise as far as it will go which should disengage the kickstart ratchet, then replace the side cover with he kickstart lever at approx. 1 o'clock position and see how you go.

You may need to adjust the position one spline ether way (probably clockwise) but the above should be near enough to see if it's working OK.

As you say you haven't changed anything else I think that should do the trick.

bjshealy
honda305.com Member

Superhawk Kick Starter Will Not Turn Engine Over

Post by bjshealy » Sun Nov 03, 2019 6:46 pm

Thank you for your helpful response. I followed your advice and the engine finally did kick over with the right-side cover installed.
Cheers.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home