Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Removing front sprocket bolts?

bjshealy
honda305.com Member

Removing front sprocket bolts?

Post by bjshealy » Wed Mar 01, 2023 3:04 pm

Help!
I tried loosening/removing the 2 bolts holding the front sprocket on my project 1967 CL77, however the 10mm socket keeps slipping off the bolt head.
The bolts are very tight too (as they should be).
What am I doing wrong?
As always, thank you.

deuce_7
honda305.com Member

Re: Removing front sprocket bolts?

Post by deuce_7 » Thu Mar 02, 2023 9:34 am

Those 6mm bolts with 10mm hex head shouldn't be that tight; their purpose is to secure the sprocket fixing plate, which prevents the sprocket from drifting laterally on the splined shaft.

Maybe the bolts were installed with Loctite? Some Loctite formulas require direct heating of the part before loosening of the fastener can occur.

If application of heat doesn't loosen the threads for wrench removal, drilling and using a screw extractor would be the next step. If the hex heads are already flattened/rounded, you may need to go directly to drilling and screw extraction.

Deuce_7
1967 CL77
1967 CL77 305 Scrambler

Michael Stoic
honda305.com Member

Post by Michael Stoic » Thu Mar 02, 2023 1:26 pm

+1 with Deuce

Also: if space and your skill level allows, you could Mig weld a nut on top of the protruding bolt head. The weld heat will break the locktite or galvanic corrosion or a rust bond and also give you a new hex head to work with.

I've used this technique a number of times to extract flush sheared studs on various projects.

--
Michael

bjshealy
honda305.com Member

Post by bjshealy » Thu Mar 02, 2023 1:55 pm

You are most likely correct concerning loctite previously applied to the two front sprocket retaining bolts.
The bolts have 10mm heads however there is a number 8 on each head.
My 3/8 inch ratchet 10mm socket just did not fit properly on the head, just kept slipping off.
A 1/4 inch 10 mm socket with the 3/8 inch adapter did the trick, however those bolts were extremely tight.
I am afraid attempting any welding is beyond my paygrade. Will leave that to the pros like you.
Just lucky the two bolts finally snapped loose.
The front sprocket was subsequently removed without any unnecessary difficulty.

Thank you for your timely sound advice, always appreciated!

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home