□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Adjusting Valves

sibes67
honda305.com Member

Post by sibes67 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:49 pm

I went and cut down my gauge per Ford Guy's method, and it worked like a charm..but if I ever see the kind you have with a bend already in it, I shall add it to the tool box. Thanks.

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:07 pm

The answer to this is that both lifters can move. .......lm
brewsky wrote:Make sure the 'T' and 'LT' are when the piston is on compression stroke.

brewsky
honda305.com Member

Post by brewsky » Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:35 pm

LOUD MOUSE wrote:The answer to this is that both lifters can move. .......lm
brewsky wrote:Make sure the 'T' and 'LT' are when the piston is on compression stroke.
Exactly...
I thought since he said they were "very tight", they might be on exhaust stroke.
66 dream, 78 cb750k, 02fz1, 09 wing

sibes67
honda305.com Member

Post by sibes67 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:00 am

brewsky wrote:
Exactly...
I thought since he said they were "very tight", they might be on exhaust stroke.[/quot

My comment on the tightness originally I think had more to do with the gauge being so wide, or else that tappet was really out of adjustment. Anyways, got all 4 adjusted properly (I think)...I did notice while working on the left side intake valve (set to LT), my curiousity prompted me to re-measure the right side intake valve while at this very same setting...result is that my gauge slid in and out very sloppily on the right side. That would be normal, correct? >Since the right side intake valve is closed, while the left side intake valve would be open? Thanks for the responses/comments.
Ron

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:24 am

???????????????????
Check if you are 180 off with the pistons/crank. .........lm

sibes67 wrote:
brewsky wrote:
Exactly...
I thought since he said they were "very tight", they might be on exhaust stroke.[/quot

My comment on the tightness originally I think had more to do with the gauge being so wide, or else that tappet was really out of adjustment. Anyways, got all 4 adjusted properly (I think)...I did notice while working on the left side intake valve (set to LT), my curiousity prompted me to re-measure the right side intake valve while at this very same setting...result is that my gauge slid in and out very sloppily on the right side. That would be normal, correct? >Since the right side intake valve is closed, while the left side intake valve would be open? Thanks for the responses/comments.
Ron

Ford Guy
honda305.com Member

Post by Ford Guy » Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:25 am

It should NEVER be sloppy. I would readjust it. When you are measing valve clearance you are looking for the maximum clearance at any one point during the engine cycle. The purpose of using the marks on the stator is technically that should be the maximum clearance point. I have known many a tech adjust valves by opening the intake and then adjusting the exhaust then doing the opposite. (this is the hard way but will still achieve the same result) I suggest you turn the engine over a few times then readjust all the valves again using the marks. PM me if you have any other questions.

Jon

sibes67
honda305.com Member

ReAdjust Done & this tool is ??

Post by sibes67 » Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:51 pm

Ok, think I have them adjusted properly now...discovered my method of locking-down the rotor bolt was not working 100%, I would get on other side of the bike and not notice that my vice grips had moved! Lesson learned.

So, now I find this little tool in the blue tool kit, am thinking it's for the adjusting screw for the tappets. The square end of the tool does not fit at all over the top of the adjusting screw however. So either this tool is for something else, or I got different parts, of maybe wrong tool for the year of scrambler.

P1010002 by sibes67, on Flickr

Thanks.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home