Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Complete newbie from Indiana, with a 67' Honda CL77

JCrimson
honda305.com Member

Complete newbie from Indiana, with a 67' Honda CL77

Post by JCrimson » Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:38 am

Hello,
I've been a member over at DOTHETON for a while now, and some of the members there have referenced me to this site. I thought I would come over and gain some wisdom and advice from you guys! I will be posting pictures and pieces of my thread from DOTHETON to this website in an effort to save some time. If you want to check out my thread over there, here is the link:

http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=53444.0

Here are some pictures of the build so far, with a little back story as to where the bike came from.

Hello, my name is Jake.
I'm from north eastern Indiana, and have stumbled through the internet to finally end up here. I have a couple of questions.

A little bit about myself, I'm a student at a local university studying Graphic Design and Webpage Design. I've been an avid mechanic ever since I learned that fixing your own vehicles is much more rewarding and that most mechanics I feel, can't be trusted. I've dealt mostly with repairing automobiles from transfer case swaps, alternators, starters, and everything in between. But now I've got this itch to do something a little more unique and while still living at home, space is limited so a rat rod is out of the question.

While attempting to sell my uncles 1977' MG MGB for him, we got onto the topic of cafe style motorcycles. I've never ridden a motorcycle, but have always wanted to learn as well as ride something a little more unique. He mentioned that he still owned a 1967' Honda 305 Scrambler up in Iowa that he had to leave behind when he moved (10 years ago). He told me if I wanted to go get the bike (10 hour trip, one way) that I could have it.

My brother, sister, father and I made the trip in my Jeep pulling a motorcycle trailer to pick the bike up in a whirlwind 24 hour straight trip last October.

I couldn't believe its condition when I first saw it, we went on the trip completely sight unseen.

Box of Parts

Things my uncle had done to the bike ten years ago, in an attempt to rebuild it. He documented them in the manual.

After some persuasion with some vinegar down in the cylinders.

Began cleaning it up a bit.

And now I'm here. I'm collecting some parts to begin putting the bike back together.

It's tax time and that means it's time to purchase some things to get this engine running again. I've reviewed the comments on the DOTHETON posts and have come up with a list of things to purchase.

Engine Gasket Kit:
Classic Honda Restoration
or
Ebay Kit

I've broken some of the bolts while removing the side covers from the engine, I was considering purchasing a
Bolt Kit.

As far as purchasing a hone, the local Sears is currently liquidating all of its merchandise and I may be able to find a hone there. I'm going to be checking tomorrow, during the day.

Is there any possible way to salvage the pistons that I've got? Also, could anyone lead me to a source to find some piston rings, if the pistons are salvageable.

Thanks for welcoming me,
-Jake

Tango911
honda305.com Member

Post by Tango911 » Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:51 am

i would not recommend re using the same piston. While its apart you should put new pistons and rings. The experts will chime in with more info. I just picked up a 64 305 superhawk and will be going through the same process. Im in indy too.

good luck!!
steve
65 Sears Puch 250
69 Dream 305
74 Kawi H1
78 CB750 SS

G-Man
honda305.com Member

Post by G-Man » Sun Feb 09, 2014 2:22 am

Hi Jake

Nice project!

Judging by the amount of rust in the bores I thing you are going to have to get them bored to +1mm and get some new pistons. The 0.75s look pretty nice below the rings so you should be able to clean them and sell them to help pay for the +1s. Alternatively you could buy another barrel which is on a smaller oversize and get it bored for your +0.75 pistons. That might be cheaper...

The headlamp you have with combined speedo-revcounter is from a CB72 but I see you don't have a rev counter drive on the head. CL77s didn't have rev counter drives. You have two options. Put in a CB72/77 left hand camshaft with rev counter drive or sell those parts and buy a CL77 headlamp and speedo.

What's the bottom end of the motor like....?

G
'60 C77 '60 C72 '62 C72 Dream '63 CL72
'61 CB72 '64 CB77 '65 CB160
'66 Matchless 350 '67 CL77
'67 S90 '77 CB400F

Hoosier Tom
honda305.com Member

Post by Hoosier Tom » Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:21 am

Jake,

What city are you in? That speedo/tach unit is for the CB450 Black Bomber and has value so if you decide to sell it put it on eBay to get the max to put in towards your project.

HT

G-Man
honda305.com Member

Post by G-Man » Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:27 am

HT

Thanks for correcting me on that. I wasn't sure.

G
'60 C77 '60 C72 '62 C72 Dream '63 CL72
'61 CB72 '64 CB77 '65 CB160
'66 Matchless 350 '67 CL77
'67 S90 '77 CB400F

Hoosier Tom
honda305.com Member

Post by Hoosier Tom » Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:19 pm

No problem, G. I've owned 4 Bombers over the years.

HT

JCrimson
honda305.com Member

Post by JCrimson » Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:45 pm

Hoosier Tom wrote:Jake,

What city are you in? That speedo/tach unit is for the CB450 Black Bomber and has value so if you decide to sell it put it on eBay to get the max to put in towards your project.

HT
That's extremely eerie, I actually live in Logansport, IN. Is there any way I could still use the speedo/tach since it wasn't originally on a CB72/77 like we had thought? Though, putting some of the funds from selling some parts towards the build is pretty intriguing. It sounds like I've got a bunch of hodgepodge parts on this bike.
G-Man wrote:Hi Jake

Nice project!

Judging by the amount of rust in the bores I thing you are going to have to get them bored to +1mm and get some new pistons. The 0.75s look pretty nice below the rings so you should be able to clean them and sell them to help pay for the +1s. Alternatively you could buy another barrel which is on a smaller oversize and get it bored for your +0.75 pistons. That might be cheaper...

The headlamp you have with combined speedo-revcounter is from a CB72 but I see you don't have a rev counter drive on the head. CL77s didn't have rev counter drives. You have two options. Put in a CB72/77 left hand camshaft with rev counter drive or sell those parts and buy a CL77 headlamp and speedo.

What's the bottom end of the motor like....?

G
By barrel do you mean the head of the motor or sleeves? I'm tempted to change the bore and the pistons primarily because 0.75 rings are hard to find (at least where I'm looking) but I need to research a bit more.

Thanks for the help so far,
Jake

[/quote]

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home