Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Complete newbie from Indiana, with a 67' Honda CL77

JCrimson
honda305.com Member

Post by JCrimson » Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:51 pm

Hoosier Tom, I sent you a message back!

Thanks a lot Loud Mouse and G-Man. There's a Honda motorcycle dealership on the South Side of Kokomo (where I go to school) so I'll give them a try for some Hondabond. If not, I'll order some from Amazon.

This might be a silly question, but when using a gasket set, should I apply something like Hondabond to the mating surfaces then lay the gaskets over it? The only gaskets I've ever really changed was a thermostat gasket on my Jeep.

I also posted the CB450 Black Bomber speedometer/tachometer and headlight bucket on Ebay to hopefully fund some of the build. I don't know a whole lot about the parts or what year they came off of, so if I've accidentally messed anything up in the ad, let me know please. This is my first time (with the help of my Cousin) selling anything on Ebay, and its something I don't know a whole lot about.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1967-Honda-CB45 ... 09&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1967-Honda-CB45 ... bc&vxp=mtr

Hoosier Tom
honda305.com Member

Post by Hoosier Tom » Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:17 pm

Jake, nothing applied to the gaskets. PM me your cell number.

HT

JCrimson
honda305.com Member

Post by JCrimson » Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:37 am

The CB450 Black Bomber Speedo/Tach sold, and now I have some funds to allocate towards the motor and the build!

Hoosier Tom was kind enough to come over and take a look at the bottom end for me. Everything was in relatively good condition, he pointed out some parts that tend to wear and would be better to replace before buttoning everything up.

Previously, I asked about what the best route to take would be in reference to my pistons and sleeves. I've made some serious mistakes during this "build". One of those mistakes was trying to clean my cylinder walls by letting the barrel sit in some vinegar (not completely submerged) for a little too long. Wasn't my brightest moment. It cleaned the walls, but I fear that it may have created a slight lip on the cylinder wall.

I'll need to have it bored to 1mm to correct this, but my main question is it cheaper to have it bored to 1mm then purchase new pistons and rings from Ohio Cycle? (The only place I've been able to find 1mm pistons, that say they're for the CA77, which I assume will work). Or would it be cheaper to clean up my 0.75 pistons a bit, purchase new rings from Ohio Cycle, purchase new sleeves and have those bored to my 0.75mm pistons?

Another HUGE mistake that I made was soaking the right and left camshaft in vinegar. I know this was an incredibly stupid mistake, now, and I've learned from that. It chewed through the bearings. Should the camshaft still be okay to use if I purchase new bearings?

As far as machining goes, who are some people or companies that could help me with the boring or any other machining? There is a company in Logansport (where I live) called Old School Racing that deal with drag bikes. I have a lead from a friend, to take the barrel over there and ask if they could perform the work. If they fall through, who are some others to use or steer clear from?

Thanks for all the help,
-Jake

JCrimson
honda305.com Member

Whoops, double post.
Last edited by JCrimson on Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

JCrimson
honda305.com Member

Whoops, triple post.
Last edited by JCrimson on Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

jensey
honda305.com Member

Post by jensey » Sun Mar 23, 2014 2:31 am

Hi,

Don't worry, the cam bearings should be replaced anyway, use C3 bearings for the cam's (C3 stands for a certain play). The bearings are prone to galling when run after a long standstill. This makes the top-end noisy, and worse, the debris of this galling is doing no good to the engine too.

Jensen
assembly of Japanese motorcycles requires great peace of mind (Pirsig)

JCrimson
honda305.com Member

Post by JCrimson » Tue Aug 19, 2014 4:18 pm

It has definitely been a while since I last updated anything involving this build. With the top end of my engine having been rebuilt by Loud Mouse, I have to start getting everything else concerning the engine tidied up so that I will be able to assemble the entire thing once the top end arrives.

Most of the parts of my motorcycle have been stored in multiple totes. It wasn't until just recently that I realized that one of the totes had a bottle of engine de-greaser in it that decided to burst causing some (more) of my parts to corrode. Some of these parts include the later model clutch plates, shifter fork, and cam tensioner arm. Is it possible to clean these components or should I search for replacements?

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home