□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Complete newbie from Indiana, with a 67' Honda CL77

Hoosier Tom
honda305.com Member

Post by Hoosier Tom » Sun Feb 09, 2014 2:23 pm

JCrimson wrote:That's extremely eerie, I actually live in Logansport, IN. Is there any way I could still use the speedo/tach since it wasn't originally on a CB72/77 like we had thought? Though, putting some of the funds from selling some parts towards the build is pretty intriguing. It sounds like I've got a bunch of hodgepodge parts on this bike.
I have seen those speedo/tach units mounted on a couple of CB77s so they must work, but never had one mounted on one of my 305s.

If you are in Logansport what's your last name? I was born & raised here and may know some of your family.

HT

G-Man
honda305.com Member

Post by G-Man » Sun Feb 09, 2014 2:32 pm

JCrimson wrote:
G

By barrel do you mean the head of the motor or sleeves? I'm tempted to change the bore and the pistons primarily because 0.75 rings are hard to find (at least where I'm looking) but I need to research a bit more.

Thanks for the help so far,
Jake
Yes - the cylinder barrel is the thing with the sleeves in it. Just look for one on eBay with a smaller bore and get it opened up for your pistons. You can get rings on eBay or from a number of other places. You can use a cylinder barrel from a CB77 or CA77 - they are all the same.

G
'60 C77 '60 C72 '62 C72 Dream '63 CL72
'61 CB72 '64 CB77 '65 CB160
'66 Matchless 350 '67 CL77
'67 S90 '77 CB400F

JCrimson
honda305.com Member

Post by JCrimson » Sun Feb 09, 2014 2:41 pm

Hoosier Tom wrote:
JCrimson wrote:That's extremely eerie, I actually live in Logansport, IN. Is there any way I could still use the speedo/tach since it wasn't originally on a CB72/77 like we had thought? Though, putting some of the funds from selling some parts towards the build is pretty intriguing. It sounds like I've got a bunch of hodgepodge parts on this bike.
I have seen those speedo/tach units mounted on a couple of CB77s so they must work, but never had one mounted on one of my 305s.

If you are in Logansport what's your last name? I was born & raised here and may know some of your family.

HT
My last name is Colee, but my mother (Cheryl)'s maiden name is DeWitt. I have an uncle Robert, aunt Lynne and an Aunt Deb if that helps.

You wouldn't happen to live on High Street would you?

Hoosier Tom
honda305.com Member

Post by Hoosier Tom » Sun Feb 09, 2014 4:51 pm

Yes, 2318 High Street. Lot of folks know me for the old Hondas parked out front. Your mom was in my sister Mary's class.

HT

JCrimson
honda305.com Member

Post by JCrimson » Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:46 pm

Hoosier Tom wrote:Yes, 2318 High Street. Lot of folks know me for the old Hondas parked out front. Your mom was in my sister Mary's class.

HT
What is your wife's maiden name? I've seen you around before, occasionally in the culd-a-sac. I always wanted to knock on your door and ask you about that white Ford Pickup you had parked in front of your house for a while. Then after I picked up the CL77, I wanted to knock on your door and ask you about vintage motorcycles. Could never figure out a way to not sound utterly creepy though.

I literally live less than a block away, on Central Avenue. I drive a black 97' Jeep Grand Cherokee with black rims, and my brother drives a 03' Jeep Liberty with black rims.

It truly is a small world!

JCrimson
honda305.com Member

Post by JCrimson » Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:03 pm

G-Man wrote:Hi Jake

Nice project!

Judging by the amount of rust in the bores I thing you are going to have to get them bored to +1mm and get some new pistons. The 0.75s look pretty nice below the rings so you should be able to clean them and sell them to help pay for the +1s. Alternatively you could buy another barrel which is on a smaller oversize and get it bored for your +0.75 pistons. That might be cheaper...

The headlamp you have with combined speedo-revcounter is from a CB72 but I see you don't have a rev counter drive on the head. CL77s didn't have rev counter drives. You have two options. Put in a CB72/77 left hand camshaft with rev counter drive or sell those parts and buy a CL77 headlamp and speedo.

What's the bottom end of the motor like....?

G
G-Man, I forgot to respond about the bottom end of the motor. I actually have no disassembled it that far yet. The phillips screws holding the case together are extremely hard to get out without stripping them, so I'm waiting until the gasket set gets here to completely take it apart. (Also, transmissions freak me out). What is the best way to remove stubborn phillips screws?

I was just watching a sale of the CB450 Black Bomber tach and headlight bucket. The bucket went for $202 and the tach went for $300. Selling those would definitely fund the pistons/sleeve purchase if I go that route.

Hoosier Tom
honda305.com Member

Post by Hoosier Tom » Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:00 pm

Jake,
Yes, you just are around the corner! My wife grew up in Ohio, not from around here. My last name is Laing. People knock on my door all the time about bikes, wouldn't be the first time. The only people I get annoyed at knocking on my door are the alcoholic scooter bums who get mad when I tell them I don't work on scooters.
There is a 1965 F100 sitting at the bottom of my drive now. I sold the 1970 white F250 a year ago November. That's my two constants- Honda motorcycles and Ford trucks.

HT

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home