Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

CL77 Seat mount modification

DJM
honda305.com Member

Re: CL77 bogs down at W.O.T.

Post by DJM » Tue Feb 04, 2020 4:12 am

Clogged or damp air filters? They will pass plenty of air for slow / medium throttle openings but not enough for full throttle.

Try taking them off altogether, briefly.

gbyoung2
honda305.com Member

Re: CL77 Seat mount modification

Post by gbyoung2 » Tue Feb 04, 2020 7:16 am

Thanks, I'll give it a try - but - the filters are brand new. The carbs have been cleaned and gone through pretty thoroughly. New float valves installed as well. Timing also checked. First time on the road for a test since getting the bike, so working out the bugs.

gbyoung2
honda305.com Member

Post by gbyoung2 » Tue Feb 04, 2020 3:00 pm

Easier to machine, drill, and cut a couple of slugs to take up the slack, than to pull the pins, locate the centers, and drill new holes. That may happen in the future, but for now, this works just fine.... thank you….. thank you very much.

Body weight on the seat has the hole in the rubber bumper envelop the welded joint between the clevis and flange bolt..... like anyone would notice that. If they did, they're in my personal space, eh?

gbyoung2
honda305.com Member

Post by gbyoung2 » Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:26 am

The original poster of this thread ran a slew of jets over for me to try to see if it would help with the bogging issue. The bike has 130 mains in it now, and his collection included some 135 and 140's. I decided to go for the gusto and went with the 140's since the LH carb bowl is kind of pain to get off and back on.

Anyway, TA-DA!! The 140 jets cured the bogging... even took it up a fairly decent grade on a street in the neighborhood in 2nd. gear, WOT, and no bogging.

Will leave those in there for now, but may back off to the 135's once I get a few more miles on it. Even tho' it's not idling perfectly right now, don't think I have to fool with the pilot jets - yet. We'll finesse the tuning a little more and we'll see as time goes by.

This tuning thread really needs to be in the carb/fuel section, so this is the last that I'll be commenting on my bike's state of tune here..... and I appreciate your patience.

Guy

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home